Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boilermakers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 17 Feb 2013 17:27

Hello,

I have found that a number of my ancestors were boilermakers in Liverpool from 1860's - 1900's; and was wondering if there was any way of finding out more information about them? Apparently one of them was a buffalo in the boilermakers group, but don't know anything about this. Have tried google but have not had any joy - does anyone else have any suggestions please?

Thanks!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Feb 2013 17:48

Hi Rachel.
Where did you get 'buffalo' from? Just wondering if it's a genuine term!
I assume what you are after is info about boilermakers in general?

ADDED just in case you ever need to, you can look up Victorian occupations here:

http://www.census1891.com/occupations-b.htm

Jan

Rachel

Rachel Report 17 Feb 2013 17:54

Yes am after boilermaker information in general. I was told that one of my boilermaker ancestors was a 'buffalo' but don't know what this means.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Feb 2013 17:57

Who told you this? You would need to see it for yourself I think - it doesn't sound likely does it? But they got this info from somewhere I suppose!!
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Feb 2013 18:03

Have you looked here?

http://www.wcml.org.uk/contents/working-lives/boilermakers/

Rachel

Rachel Report 17 Feb 2013 18:04

No I haven't looked at those websites, but will do so thank you :)

Reggie

Reggie Report 17 Feb 2013 18:12

Are you sure that the reference to 'buffalo' was in connection with the man's employment?

Could it have referred to his having been a member of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes? R.A.O.B (Buffs) clubs proliferated in years gone by

Rachel

Rachel Report 18 Feb 2013 19:35

That is most helpful Reggie - thank you!

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 19 Feb 2013 09:27

Maybe he was the "Charge Hand" Rachel! :-D There are some very strange titles in trade organisations. I think Reggie might be on the right lines though.

Potty

Potty Report 19 Feb 2013 13:17

This is the RAOB's website:

http://www.raob.org.uk/