Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scanning Old Photos and Documents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 1 Mar 2013 15:06

I am going to start scanning a lot of old photos soon aswell as some documents, certificates, records etc.

But I don't know what all-in-one scanner/printer I will need to get? How many dpi do I need to be able to produce good quality digital images from the scanner that I can zoom in massively?

I am on the budget of £20 - £30 for a printer...

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Mar 2013 15:48

Have a look around at Tescos etc you can also look online. Be aware too on how much replacement cartridges are. I had a Lexmark .very good for scanning and printing but it didn't like compatible cartridges and new one s were so expensive, Black cost £32 plus and colour around £37. I have a Kodak Esp 310 c 310 now bought a couple of years ago from Tesco's cost me £49.99 with free cartrdges and i got their special offer too of two packs of cartridges black & colour for £25. Still using them to date so a good deal

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Mar 2013 16:00

See this link it will give you some info with regard to some myths about the importance of DPI and PPI, with digital photo's and print quality

http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

Roy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Mar 2013 17:08

Use one of the comparison websites

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Mar 2013 07:22

With a budget that low you might be struggling. Realistically, prices for a basic PSC start at £50.

Lexmark pulled out of the inkjet market last year, so current names to look for are Canon, Epson Kodak and HP. Kodak claim theirs uses less ink, but from what I have read, print quality could be better.

As Reggie says, look at the comparison sites and read the reviews.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 2 Mar 2013 11:04

Also check what type of ink any printer uses - some only use two cartridges one Black & White & 1 Colour
But there are others which use more than 1 colour cartridge

When buying replacement cartridges shop around. I have found that many will not always like the 'compatible' replacements. And that can vary from printer to printer within the same make and model!

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 2 Mar 2013 16:12

Thanks for the help all!