Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scanning Old Photos and Documents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 1 Mar 2013 15:06

I am going to start scanning a lot of old photos soon aswell as some documents, certificates, records etc.

But I don't know what all-in-one scanner/printer I will need to get? How many dpi do I need to be able to produce good quality digital images from the scanner that I can zoom in massively?

I am on the budget of £20 - £30 for a printer...

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Mar 2013 15:48

Have a look around at Tescos etc you can also look online. Be aware too on how much replacement cartridges are. I had a Lexmark .very good for scanning and printing but it didn't like compatible cartridges and new one s were so expensive, Black cost £32 plus and colour around £37. I have a Kodak Esp 310 c 310 now bought a couple of years ago from Tesco's cost me £49.99 with free cartrdges and i got their special offer too of two packs of cartridges black & colour for £25. Still using them to date so a good deal

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Mar 2013 16:00

See this link it will give you some info with regard to some myths about the importance of DPI and PPI, with digital photo's and print quality

http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

Roy

Reggie

Reggie Report 1 Mar 2013 17:08

Use one of the comparison websites

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Mar 2013 07:22

With a budget that low you might be struggling. Realistically, prices for a basic PSC start at £50.

Lexmark pulled out of the inkjet market last year, so current names to look for are Canon, Epson Kodak and HP. Kodak claim theirs uses less ink, but from what I have read, print quality could be better.

As Reggie says, look at the comparison sites and read the reviews.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 2 Mar 2013 11:04

Also check what type of ink any printer uses - some only use two cartridges one Black & White & 1 Colour
But there are others which use more than 1 colour cartridge

When buying replacement cartridges shop around. I have found that many will not always like the 'compatible' replacements. And that can vary from printer to printer within the same make and model!

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 2 Mar 2013 16:12

Thanks for the help all!