Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genes Reunited and Family Tree Maker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bernipops

Bernipops Report 3 Mar 2013 15:08

Having just bought into GR and spent hours on building my tree, I am now concerned to see that if I export a gedcom I will lose attachments. Can someone please explain to me that if I buy FTM and export what I have done so far from GR what is the best way forward?

1) Do I continue to build my tree on FTM but use GR to do my tracing?
2) Input the information I find on FTM as opposed to GR?
3) Can you attach copies of censuses on FTM and, if so, do you have to cut and paste from GR?
4) Am making lots of notes on GR but want to be able to produce them in some format or other to supplement the tree so would it be better to do this on FTM?

Any other help with this would be greatly appreciated. Very happy with GR but want to ensure I get the best results at the end.

Thanks

George

George Report 3 Mar 2013 20:53

If you had joined Ancestry where they have quite a good tree compared to here, provided you had FTM 2010 or 2012 you could have exported your tree from there complete with all pictures and documents.
Ancestry also syncs your tree with anything you discover on there site and add to your tree with your FTM.

Think your stuck with GR tree.

George

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 3 Mar 2013 22:28

1) Always build your tree on your own computer using your own software whether it be FTM or similar. You can always upload a copy of your tree to sites such as GR if you wish.

2) Research wherever appropriate and add your findings on to your home software.

3) Copy and paste things such as census records, BMD entries ect and add them as notes into your software. That way you will always be able to see the information.

4) You can certainly make whatever notes you feel that you need when using FTM.

Bernipops

Bernipops Report 4 Mar 2013 08:56

Thank you both for your replies.

I do wish I had done a bit more homework before buying into GR but guess I am stuck with it for the next six months anyway.

Jonesey your reply clarified to me the way forward which was extremely helpful.

Thanks again.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Mar 2013 11:06

You aren't "stuck" with GR you use it for research and making contact with other members who have the same interests.

I manage my tree exactly as Jonesey suggests and have done so now for over ten years using FTM. My PC copy is the definitive one - make sure you have regular data backups too.

I normally upload an up to date copy to Ancestry once a year and to GR every six months or so.

Potty

Potty Report 4 Mar 2013 12:33

FTM usually comes with a free trial for Ancestry, so you can use that for searching as well and at the end of the trial, decide which site you prefer and subscribe to that one. Most people on here find Ancestry better for searching and just have basic membership of this site and don't forget the free sites like freebmd, freereg and familysearch.

Chrispynoodle

Chrispynoodle Report 4 Mar 2013 15:12

You will also find that FTM conveniently "merges" any documents you find, such as census returns, from Ancestry to FTM so that you don't have to mess about copying and pasting. Just use GR for getting in touch with people and you may find some records which you can't find on Ancestry, so you haven't wasted your money!

Good luck

Bernipops

Bernipops Report 4 Mar 2013 17:32

I am really impressed with how helpful people are on this forum.

Thanks so much
Bernipops