Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Emigrants to US from N East UK 1820 and 1850

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 10 Mar 2013 16:31

OOPS , that should read Sunderland!
And I can't spell my own name .
Mick

Michael

Michael Report 10 Mar 2013 16:29

Hi ,

That's a possibility . We've tried the Newcastle Archives and have some info that needs to be looked further into .
Some ships did go from Sounderland Newcastle and Shields , but the records of the individuals concerned don't seem to be available in the same way (so far) as they are for the Liverpool departures .
The Port Authority is a good idea . Worth trying .
Thanks
Nick

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 10 Mar 2013 14:19

Hi Mick, would the Port of Tyne Authority be able to give you any clues?

Must admit I live on the Tyne and hadn't heard of any sailings to USA, I'd always just thought voyages were to Europe.

Michael

Michael Report 10 Mar 2013 10:26

I am involved with a local group researching the lives of people who left the North East of England , from North East seaports, to settle in America between 1820 and 1850 .
Although lots of info exists regarding those who left from Liverpool , there seems to be little available re those who sailed from Newcastle , Sunderland and other North East ports .
I would be grateful if anyone could supply surnames , points of departure , and year of travel , for any such travellers , and hopefully we can flesh out the bones with further research .

Thanks , Mick