Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

exporting tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Alain Report 13 Mar 2013 00:32

many thanks for replying to my question wil give it it a try



Inky1 Report 12 Mar 2013 09:26

It may be worthwhile doing a Search on this Board for gedcom. There are a number of posts relating to problems - mainly (or maybe all) relating to how date fields are displayed by the other software.


This does not affect the actual export/import process.


Jonesey Report 11 Mar 2013 09:17

The simple answer is yes. What you export is a copy of your GR tree in the form of a GEDCOM. Your original tree will remain unaltered on GR. The GEDCOM will contain all the relevant facts but will not include any photos that are in the tree. Export it to your computer and save it.

Once you have installed whichever family tree software you have chosen onto your computer then you instruct that to import the GEDCOM that you have previously saved.


Alain Report 11 Mar 2013 02:26

Is it possible to export my tree to another family tree programme but still keep it on Genes if so can someone explain how to do it

Many thanks