Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pigs ear

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gordon

Gordon Report 13 Mar 2013 13:01

I have just tried to start loading up my family tree and got some of the info wrong how do I amend it as it will not let me change it thanks

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Mar 2013 13:31

If you've made a mistake and want to remove the person, click on 'delete' which you'll see just below the relation's details.

However, you can only delete a name from your tree if it's at the top or the bottom or has no other branches attached to it. For example, you can remove or delete the child of a relation. You will see a message saying you can't delete a relation if other names are attached to that person.

You'll need to look at your tree and either remove names from the bottom upwards or from the top down, depending on where the relation is that you want to remove.

Another tip is simply to edit / amend the details that are incorrect to be the correct ones.

Or, If you've made a mistake and added someone to the wrong parents and the correct parents are already entered in your tree, you can amend this too.

Locate the person, click on the 'edit' tab below their name or on the little tab with two arrows in it on the top right hand side of the tree page to open the details box.

Scroll down the details box on the right hand side of the page to the Relationships section. Click on the 'Change' tab beside one of the incorrect parents and a 'Find an existing relation' search box will appear. Start typing the name of the correct parent and it will appear below the search box. Click on the correct name and then on 'Save' to save the changes. Repeat the process for the other parent, again saving the changes.

All this information and more can be found in the Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions under Family Tree.