Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for a soldier from WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beryl

Beryl Report 16 Mar 2013 12:46

Hi, I am looking to find some info on my great uncle who was a gunner with the Royal Field Artillery and Royal Garrison Artillery during WW1. His nname was Arthur Hevingham b 1892 and he joined on 19.08.1914, I have his reg no which was 11883 for the period Jan 1914 - December 1920. I also have the number WO 372/9/163003, but seem unable to find him on any of the sites I have looked on. I would love to know where he served, and what medals (if any he had) but do not know where to go next. Can anyone help.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Mar 2013 12:52

Medal cards are on Ancestry

Records are also on Ancestry........however, less than 30% of WW1 records survived an enemy bombing raid in WW2.

So most people will never find records of their relatives who served.

Beryl

Beryl Report 16 Mar 2013 13:16

thank you for that - I have looked on Ancestry thats where the info I have came from - its just that I would have liked to know more - oh well - maybe I'll get lucky and his records may be ones that have survived - tall order but you never know - thanks again

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Mar 2013 13:18

If they aren't on Ancestry, then they do not exist, I'm afraid.

Ancestry have transcribed all available records

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Mar 2013 15:02

This is the nearest match for that birth year.
Is this the correct person..?

Births Dec 1892

Hevingham Wilfred Arthur ..Walsall 6b 660

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Mar 2013 15:10

Do I presume you have found his Medal Card as that is on Ancestry and also gives another number SR/3762

Where have you got the other number from WO 372/9/163003

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 16 Mar 2013 19:08

WO 372/9/163003 Is the reference number from the medal card index at the national archives

3762 is his regimental number for the Royal Garrison Artillery and 11883 is his number for the Royal Field Artillery

Roy

Beryl

Beryl Report 25 Mar 2013 11:06

I have found the numbers on Ancestry, but unfortuantely they do not help me very much, two small pages with hardly any info on them! I wondered if I could find out where he served, and what, if any, medals he received. It also seems that after his marriage in 1918, he and his wife had a son, born in 1919, but in 1920 his wife left him taking the child, and went to Canada, never to return to England. I can, to date, find no trace of Arthur's death - I traced him on the electoral register in 1922 as living back with his mother, but cant seem to find him after that - wonder if he went to Canada to try and find them - maybe he even died abroad, - perhaps I will never know, but thanks to all who have given me some information

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Mar 2013 11:31

Have you discounted this death?

Arthur Hevingham
Birth Date: 9 Nov 1895
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1983
Age at Death: 87
Registration district: Bullingdon
Inferred County: Oxfordshire
Volume: 20
Page: 2155

Admittedly, the year is wrong, but the information is only as good as the informant's knowledge

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Mar 2013 11:37

From the medal card, he was awarded the Victory medal, British Medal, and Star.

Most Army soldiers were given at least one of those.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Mar 2013 11:40

British Campaign Medal Sets

Three of the British campaign medals: The 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Three of the British campaign medals: The 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

Pip, Squeak and Wilfred are the affectionate names given to the three WW1 campaign medals — The 1914 Star or 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal respectively. These medals were primarily awarded to the Old Contemptibles (B.E.F.). and by convention all three medals are worn together and in the same order from left to right when viewed from the front. The set of three medals or at least the British War Medal and the Victory Medal are the most likely medals to be found among family heirlooms.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww1-campaign-medals.htm

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Mar 2013 10:53

Funnily enough I was yesterday going to mention the Pip Squeak & Wilfred, but got sidetracked elsewhere.

Great Minds etc...... :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Mar 2013 11:30

We used to play 'Pip, Squeak and Wilfred' at Brownies in the 1960's.

I never realised the connection before - was the game named after the medals. or the nick name for the medals after the game? :-D

Beryl

Beryl Report 26 Mar 2013 12:24

thank you all so much for your input - the Arthur you mention 1895 in Oxford, is one of ours, but unfortunately, not the the one I am looking for, but thanks anyway - great about the medals, how can I get to see his medal card with this info on it? I had never heard of Pip Squeak and Wilfred, but its a lovely bit of information, many thanks to you both

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 26 Mar 2013 13:17

For interest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pip,_Squeak_and_Wilfred

Beryl

Beryl Report 26 Mar 2013 15:33

thanks for that JannieAnnie - all I have to do now is confirmm that these medals are actually on my great uncle's medal card - thank you

Beryl

Beryl Report 26 Mar 2013 15:50

Thanks Roy, I have now got a copy of that medal card - its great - thank you so very much