Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

change of name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Edwin Report 18 Mar 2013 13:03

Thank's everyone for your help .problem solved.


InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Mar 2013 07:22

The link to this little site should be in every genealogist's bookmarks or favourites.

The rules did change over time so it also depends on when the event took place.


**Ann** Report 17 Mar 2013 22:50

This link should help.


brummiejan Report 17 Mar 2013 22:47

I think the birth can be re-registered if his father agrees to be on the cert. Both entries will be on the indexes.

This site might help (assuming this took place England or Wales)



Edwin Report 17 Mar 2013 22:25

if a child is born out of wedlock and takes his mothers name,can this be changed on the birth cert?