Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genealogy Programm

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 18 Mar 2013 10:37

Can anyone please tell me of a Genealogy programme that supports Baptisms/Christenings? For many years I have used Reunion which allows the field for births/ baptisms/ christenings to be changed as required. Sadly Reunion is no longer available for Windows, only Mac.

All the other programmes I;ve explored only provide a field for births which can't be changed.

All geneologists know that there are no registration of births before 1837. The record is the church ceremony, baptism/ christening. It was common practice for families to baptize several children all together, so to record them on a genealogy programme as births is totally wrong,
Can anyone please help?;

W. Grice.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 18 Mar 2013 11:45

Ancestry profiles allow for Christenings etc., and Barmitvahs and all sundry different events which can occur during a lifetime, including Burials and Cremations.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Mar 2013 12:03

I use FTM which has a pre-defined list of common facts and events, much the same as PP has described.

If you can't find one to fit (the list is around 100 long) you simply create a new one.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Mar 2013 14:40

The LDS program allows for such entries........and it's free

Look at their website for......

PAF

JayADee

JayADee Report 18 Mar 2013 15:02

Roots Magic has a list of pre-defined facts & events too including baptisms! Also if you wish you can design your own. :-)

Margo

Margo Report 18 Mar 2013 20:25

I've been using PAF 5 for years. It will never be updated but it gives me everything I need, including adding photos if I want to. It is free to download at www.familysearch.org and offers various events on the default template but you can tailor a template for your own needs as well. Hope this helps. :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Mar 2013 14:24

The only totally free no restrictions family history software is GRAMPS.

http://gramps-project.org/

William

William Report 19 Mar 2013 20:28

Many thanks to all who sent replies to my request re Genealogy Program

Bill Grice

William

William Report 19 Mar 2013 20:28

Many thanks to all who sent replies to my request re Genealogy Program

Bill Grice