Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genealogy Programm

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 19 Mar 2013 20:28

Many thanks to all who sent replies to my request re Genealogy Program

Bill Grice

William

William Report 19 Mar 2013 20:28

Many thanks to all who sent replies to my request re Genealogy Program

Bill Grice

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Mar 2013 14:24

The only totally free no restrictions family history software is GRAMPS.

http://gramps-project.org/

Margo

Margo Report 18 Mar 2013 20:25

I've been using PAF 5 for years. It will never be updated but it gives me everything I need, including adding photos if I want to. It is free to download at www.familysearch.org and offers various events on the default template but you can tailor a template for your own needs as well. Hope this helps. :-)

KenSE

KenSE Report 18 Mar 2013 19:44

Even the GR tree has a separate place for baptisms. If I don't have a birth date but do have a baptism date, then I use that year for the birth year and set the uncertainty marker.

JayADee

JayADee Report 18 Mar 2013 15:02

Roots Magic has a list of pre-defined facts & events too including baptisms! Also if you wish you can design your own. :-)

Reggie

Reggie Report 18 Mar 2013 14:40

The LDS program allows for such entries........and it's free

Look at their website for......

PAF

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Mar 2013 12:03

I use FTM which has a pre-defined list of common facts and events, much the same as PP has described.

If you can't find one to fit (the list is around 100 long) you simply create a new one.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 18 Mar 2013 11:45

Ancestry profiles allow for Christenings etc., and Barmitvahs and all sundry different events which can occur during a lifetime, including Burials and Cremations.

William

William Report 18 Mar 2013 10:37

Can anyone please tell me of a Genealogy programme that supports Baptisms/Christenings? For many years I have used Reunion which allows the field for births/ baptisms/ christenings to be changed as required. Sadly Reunion is no longer available for Windows, only Mac.

All the other programmes I;ve explored only provide a field for births which can't be changed.

All geneologists know that there are no registration of births before 1837. The record is the church ceremony, baptism/ christening. It was common practice for families to baptize several children all together, so to record them on a genealogy programme as births is totally wrong,
Can anyone please help?;

W. Grice.