Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grandads death cert.

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 18 Mar 2013 15:23

Getting really frustated now. I would love to know when my grandad died but have sent for 2 certs that I thought might be his and both are wrong GRRRRR. Has anyone any sugestions how to find this out without ordering many more certs and costing me a lot of money.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Mar 2013 15:30

Do you know where he was living at the time, have you his actual birth date sometimes this helps as after c1975 the birth date is shown on the GRO record .

Do you want to give his name and which certs you have bought so we can take a look too

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Mar 2013 15:42

I second what Shirley says - with the added bit that DOB's are shown 1970 onwards!! :-D :-D

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 18 Mar 2013 15:49

Hi Shirley and Jan,
Jan I have asked before about him and you gave me some sugestions.
His name was George Henry Tucker B 1877 Camberwell.I know he must have died sometime between 1918 and 1952.My nan remarried in 1952 but had been living with my 'uncle harry' since before 1946.The family lived in and around Camberwell/Islington/London I believe.
The 2 certs I have are George Tucker died D Jan 1952 Camberwell , retired merchant seaman, and George Tucker D nov 1929 west ham, Railway carman.
My George was a bootmaker.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Mar 2013 16:24

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1298297

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 18 Mar 2013 17:05

Reggie, I have tried all the sugestions on the first thread as advised,was just saying how frustrated I was and wondered if anyone had any other sugestions. :-)

Ann

Ann Report 18 Mar 2013 18:49

Anne Marie,
I have the same problem with my Grandad who lived in Camberwell. He would have died between 1914- 1918. He committed suicide but still he should show on the records. Can't find him anywhere. Perhaps they lost some death and burial records there in Camberwell for that time scale!
Ann

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 18 Mar 2013 19:31

Ann, its so frustrating isnt it.You may be right about them losing some records.Anything is possible I suppose.I 'think' he is buried in Totenham cementry but as it is such a big place going looking for it at ramdom is a no no. I will have to pursuade oh to go up there to see if I can find someone to ask.next assignment I think when I have saved some more pennies. lol :-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Mar 2013 20:35

If you think he is buried in Tottenham cemetery then that must have been local to his home at that time.
From what you are saying he was separated from gran if she was with someone else.

It would also suggest she didn't know he had died if she waited to marry and her husband was a batchelor so the impediment to them marrying before was because she still married Would have thought if he died before 1946 when she was with Harry she was free to marry then .

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 18 Mar 2013 21:03

Shirley, thats what I thought that is why i got the cert for a george who died in 1952, but it is not my george sadly. :-( :-(

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 18 Mar 2013 21:09

Shirley, thats what I thought that is why i got the cert for a george who died in 1952, but it is not my george sadly. :-( :-(

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 18 Mar 2013 21:10

stupid laptop, doubling up on everything, sorry folks. :-S :-S

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Mar 2013 21:42

What about this death? :-

Name: TUCKER, George H
Registration district: Maidstone
County: Kent
Year of registration: 1945
Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at death: 68
Volume no: 2A
Page no: 1581

People don't always die where they live.

EDIT - just looked at your other thread and see you think the death would be before 1944. Are you absolutely certain of that? During the war a lot of couples split up and went on to live with someone else because divorce was too difficult and expensive to get. I see you say your grandmother didn't marry again 1952.

Kath. x

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 18 Mar 2013 21:42

I agree with what Shirley says above - if he is buried in Tottenham cemetery then focus on records in/near that area. Also which year was the last child born to the marriage of George Tucker and your gran - I would use that (or the year before) as my starting point, then the end point would be the year your gran remarried.

Also some questions:

How do you know he was still a bootmaker when he died?
Why are you sure that one of the certs is not him - if based on occupation?

jansmith

jansmith Report 18 Mar 2013 23:08

could you post names of his children could they have been on the electoral roll with him after the war?

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 19 Mar 2013 10:50

Hi Jansmith, thank you for your comments. the names of his children were:
May Tucker b1900 Kilburn
Constance Tucker, b1904 Clapton
Dorothy Tucker, b 1911 Islington
George Henry Tucker, b 1913 Willesden,
Walter Tucker b 1915 Hampstead.

Any help would be appreciated.,
Many thanks in anticipation,
Ann

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 19 Mar 2013 10:53

JannieAnnie, I am presuming that he kept the same occupation otherwise how would I be able to tell which George Tucker it was as there are quite a few. :-S :-S

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 19 Mar 2013 11:30

Hi AnnMarieG

My point exactly - do not presume that he had the same job for his whole life. Here is why I ask the question as to why you are so sure the Camberwell George is not your George? I appreciate that he could have moved (and seemed to do so considering the birth places of the children) - but if he had other family perhaps he returned to Camberwell.

The reason is I have just worked through a lot of George/George plus an initial/ another name plus a 'G' Tuckers from 1918 to 1953 to see what comes up (as I am sure have others on your threads) and focussing on the remarriage as an end point and Tottenham as a place of death there are 3 London deaths 1952/1953 out of a potential 10 London deaths between 1922 and 1953.

There is a George in Ealing 1953 - aged 55 - so probably too young; a George in Camberwell 1952 - aged 75 - spot on but you said it isn't him and Edmonton 1952 aged 79 (too old if accurate). It depends on what the person who registered the death knew about the deceased. Did they know he was 'George Henry' , did they know his correct dob, etc etc?

Somewhere you mention your gran and her views - hence the surprise at a 1954 marriage, she must have known her first husband was still alive.

Was the informant on the death cert a family member to the Camberwell George?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Mar 2013 12:01

??

Name: George Henry Tucker
Year: 1920
County or Borough:
Ward or Division/Constituency:Finsbury & Greenwich
Street Address: 7 Lindsell Street East Greenwich

no other voter listed with him

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 19 Mar 2013 12:58

Shirley, Thank you for your responce.
The person registering the death of george in 1952 was F.W.Rawlinson,( St Giles Hospital,SE5 and he died in said place) so I again 'presume' he had no other relatives near to him.He is listed as a retired merchant seaman and that is why I didnt think this was 'my george'
Another poser though, how would my nan have known he had died.She did not live near to him but in essex and as far as I know ? had no communication with him. He was never spoke of when I was a child although these things were proberbly never discussed.We were quite a close family and lived next door to one another.
Thank you for looking into this for me.
Thank you to anyone who has also done this.
Still confused.lol. :-S :-S