Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Getting further with a search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madeleine

Madeleine Report 19 Mar 2013 09:40

The mother named on my dad's birth certificate was not married to his father. I know that this is true. As I only have her name is it going to be impossible to ever trace her life,? Thank you.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Mar 2013 10:02

Do you know when she died? If so, the DC reference will give you her age - Or something close to it. The information on the certificate (or gro index ref) is only as good as the informants knowledge but at least you'd have a rough idea.

You'd be able to search for her birth and purchase the certificates. You probably know roughly which part of the country she was born. If you know the names of any siblings, its's possible to search of those registrations. If they were born after 1911, the mother's maiden name is shown on the index

If you don't mind naming names, years, area etc, members would be only to happy to help you with your quest.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Mar 2013 10:26

It depends on how common - or otherwise - her name was

I'm guessing that your father was not brought up by his mother, and therefore has/had no knowledge of her.

There must be an address on the birth cert.................that may be worth investigating.

Also, did the mother have an occupation?

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 Mar 2013 10:31

Briefly, no, it won't be impossible.
How you do it will depend greatly on what you know abt her family, beyond her name. Do you know of any maternal aunts, uncles or cousins your dad had? Also, what year was your dd born in? Have you found the GRO index entry for your gran's death?

Potty

Potty Report 19 Mar 2013 12:09

As mgnv has said it might not be impossible - I recently helped an 83 year old lady who was adopted in the 1930s trace her mother and contact living relatives.

Madeleine

Madeleine Report 19 Mar 2013 12:27

I don't know when Jessie died. I think that it is likely that she eventually moved on and got married to someone else.

George Golding born 26/3/1907 My dad..

Father William Golding 17, Hooks Rd. Peckham

Mother Jessie Ellis Same address

On Georges birth certificate it states " Jessie Golding formerly Ellis". Well that tells two things. They were telling porkies and pretended to be married. Or he was a bigamist. Or they are not my family. If they are not my family I am up the creek. My dad was always known as Walter George Golding, But there is no registration for a WG Golding anywhere.
II have been told by cousins that dad was a half brother. That's why I think that I have got the right certificate. Dad's father's wife was dying of TB during this period, and I just thought that he left them all and found another girl, but it didn't last.

I have absolutley no information about Jessie at all.
Dad was put in the workhouse infermery in October the year he was born, and was eventually taken home by his grandmother.(His dad's mother). It has just ocurred to me - something must have cropped up in October for dad to have been put into the workhouse. Very grateful to all who have shown interest in my diatribe. Thank you so much. Madeleine.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 19 Mar 2013 12:44

Madelaine,

What details of his father did your father give on his marriage certificate? Was the 26th of March the date that your father celebrated his birthday?

I'm assuming that this is your father in 1911:

Name: George Wet Golding
Age in 1911: 4
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1907
Relation to Head: Grandchild
Birth Place: CAMBERWELL, London, England
Civil parish: Camberwell
County/Island: London
Street Address: 50 Furley St, Peckham S E
Registration district: Camberwell
Registration District Number: 27
Sub-registration district: Peckham North
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Piece: 2559
Household Members:
Name Age
Elizabeth J Golding 52
William P A Golding 35
Gerorge E Golding 25
Frederick C Golding 23
Maud M Golding 19
Nellie K Golding 15
Louise E Golding 14
Willias S Golding 9
George Wet Golding 4

If my assumption is correct then the name Walter may indeed be what your father was called within the family if for no other reason than to avoid confusion between him and his uncle George who was living in the same household in 1911.

Being in a workhouse infirmary did not necessarily mean that you were a pauper. Workhouse infirmaries at that time were in lots of cases the local hospital. Remember that there was no national health service back then and doctors services had to be paid for by the individual or their family. If you could not afford private health care then the workhouse infirmary was your only option.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 19 Mar 2013 13:16

Just a possibility. About the right age and in the right area:

Name: Jessie Ellis
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Jesse Ellis
Where born: Peckham, London, England
Civil parish: Camberwell
Ecclesiastical parish: St Chrysostom
County/Island: London
Street Address: Slanton St

Condition as to marriage: Single

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Camberwell
Sub-registration district: Peckham
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 325
Piece: 505
Folio: 31
Page Number: 49
Household Members:
Name Age
Jesse Ellis 64
Jessie Ellis 24

Madeleine

Madeleine Report 19 Mar 2013 13:24

I have left a reply on the bottom of all the letters i have had. This isn't correct is it? Can you see it .? If not I will write it to you again. Thank you for yor help.Madeleine.

Potty

Potty Report 19 Mar 2013 13:58

Hi Madeleine

Received your pm and, as you can see above, your replies have appeared on this thead. Everyone who has posted will be able to see them by clicking on "My Threads" and then clicking on the thread.

It is always better to post replies on the thread rather than by PM as then everyone can see what has been added.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Mar 2013 14:18

Linked................

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1056956

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1117344

Potty

Potty Report 19 Mar 2013 14:19

William in the 1911 census is shown as a widower and although it has been crossed out, the columns refering to children of his marriage have been filled in - 7 children born, 2 died; Louisa and William are also shown as grandchildren, so probably his from his marriage.