Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish records marriages - query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Mar 2013 09:10

Yes, I know I should know this really - but I don't!
Please can someone tell me if extra info is ever gained by looking at the actual image of a marriage record, as opposed to the online info?
I have a marriage in mind, no father's name is shown online, and I am wondering if this definitely means it is not there.
Many thanks.
Jan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Mar 2013 09:24

If the father's name isn't transcribed, then there probably wasn't one named.

The witnesses on the actual image (depending when) might help identify if it is the correct family. There would also be the occupation of the bride and groom (usually only the groom) and the address that at least one of them was living at. They might appear to be co-habiting, but if one was living out of Parish, it was cheaper to pretend otherwise so that they only had to pay for one set of Banns.

Kense

Kense Report 22 Mar 2013 09:46

I would say it is worth looking at the actual image as there may be information on it that doesn't get transcribed. In any case it gives you a chance to check the transcription.

In the case in point I have come across one where the father's name did not appear on the GRO certificate, but later when I saw it in the parish register, a name was there but it was crossed out.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Mar 2013 10:56

Thanks DetEcTive & KenSE.
You have really helped me with your advice, it seems worthwhile to just have a look. You never know do you!
Much appreciated.
Jan

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 22 Mar 2013 11:03

Jan,

It depends to some extent upon when the parish record was made.

From my personal experience details of the fathers (Name, occupation) of the marrying couple were not usually recorded in the parish register.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Mar 2013 11:12

Thanks Jonesey.
The marriage in question is 1829.
It's actually for another member on here, if anybody wants to have a go:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1321591
Regards
Jan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Mar 2013 11:40

Before 1837 (England and Wales C of E or C of W?) it would only have

- The names of of the parties,
- Conditon (Spinster, Bachelor etc )
- Of which Parish,
- By Banns/License
- Witnesses. Altough they could be Church Officials, they might be friends or relatives

See an example from Cityark here -

http://goo.gl/iqIHs

We wouldn't dream of interfering with that thread - you're doing such a good job! :-D

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Mar 2013 11:52

Thanks - but interfere if you can help more!
Jan :-D

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 22 Mar 2013 15:19

I read this thread this morning and thought KenSE's suggestion was interesting regarding the father' s name being crossed out. I was then trawling through some electoral information, getting nowhere and thought I would just look at an (online) image of a related marriage.

This is my point supporting KenSE's post - there was an additional notation in the margin, interestingly the marriage was in 1915 - the notation was made in 1954! I knew there were two entries for the marriage in GRO - but the date of the notation was revealing for me.

If you get the chance to view an original record - it may well be worth it!