Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fredk

Fredk Report 22 Mar 2013 20:00

When posting a reply are you allowed to post the original census document instead of the transcript .So far I have never seen it done

Potty

Potty Report 22 Mar 2013 20:35

Do you mean the census image, Fredk? Images can't be posted to the boards but they can be attached to a PM - probably have to be saved to your own computer first.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 22 Mar 2013 21:00

The only way you could show an image would be to save it to a photo hosting service such as Imageshack and then post a link to the image.

Fredk

Fredk Report 22 Mar 2013 21:52

Potty MarieCeleste
Thanks for your advice

KenSE

KenSE Report 22 Mar 2013 22:23

I suppose you can put it in keepsafe and make it public. There might be some legal problems though.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Mar 2013 10:24

KenSE, like the copyright of BMDs you can only post a picture of the section you have a query about.

But as you cannot post pictures to threads on here it's all down to whether you do a link to the 'piece' or ask people to take a look and come back with any help

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 23 Mar 2013 15:34

The following is a link to the guidance given for copying Birth, Death, Marriage and Civil Partnership Certificates. This informaton is on the National Archives website.

http://tinyurl.com/84mj2ba

As far as I can tell there is no restriction as to the amount of the certificate you can post to the web.

Chris

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Mar 2013 20:01

ChrisinWessex - I think the copyright comes in depending on how and why you are showing it. Odd I know.

So you cannot show it for monetary gain, but can display on a website like Ancestry, its all rather bizarre.