Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

working for the Bishop

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Apr 2013 11:32

Both long since dead I'm afraid Josephine. :-(

Josephine

Josephine Report 12 Apr 2013 09:50

Thanks all for the advice - I contacted the Bishops' House and received a reply from the PA to say she had no knowledge of my great aunt and that records were not kept for 'domestic' staff.

I will have a look at the Electoral Register - thanks +++detective+++ and will also consider contacting the two Bishops if they are still alive - thanks Cynthia -

It is so frustrating knowing bits of information and then not being able to follow through - but I guess that is the fascination of family history!!

Jo :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Mar 2013 18:49

Could she have 'lived in'? If so, she might be on the Electoral Roll.

The ER, searchable by address only, are held at Coventry History Centre. They would probably make a charge to look on your behalf.

http://www.theherbert.org/index.php/home/history-centre

There were no Electoral Registers compiled during WW2 1939-45.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 Mar 2013 14:48

Hi Josephine,

There were 2 bishops during the period 1943-1953

They were: Rt. Revd. Neville Gorton and Rt. Revd. Cuthbert Bardsley.

I've heard Cuthbert Bardsley preach in the past - he was very, very good and amusing too :-D

Below is the link to The Bishop's House in Coventry where, presumably, your aunt may have worked. The address is 23 Davenport Road.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_bishop's_house_in_coventry_19d07.JPG

Cx.

Josephine

Josephine Report 26 Mar 2013 13:16

Thank you Jan - I will have a look

Jo

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Mar 2013 12:49

Maybe the diocese has records? Did a google search and found this site:

http://www.coventry.anglican.org/contact/bishopsoffices/

Bishop's House,
23 Davenport Road,
Coventry
CV5 6PW

tel. 024 7667 2244
fax. 024 7671 3271
email. bishcov@btconnect.com
Bishop's PA: Christine Camfield (email. Christine.Camfield@btconnect.com)
Bishop's Secretary: Elizabeth Egan (email. Elizabeth.Egan1@btconnect.com)

Jan

Josephine

Josephine Report 26 Mar 2013 12:38

According to family information, my great aunt Laura Mildred Thomas,who died in 1959, was employed as a housekeeper by the Bishop of Coventry - I would guess this would have been in the 40's /early 50s - does anyone have ideas as to how I can find out more information please.

thanks in anticipation

Jo