Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who lived there?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Josephine

Josephine Report 26 Mar 2013 12:41

Trying to trace family through the years, I have knowledge of where various relations were living when they died, but not when they moved into the house(s). Is there a way to find out the history of a house and who lived there? I have thought about the electoral register - is this available on-line

hoping someone can help

Thanking you in anticipation

Jo

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Mar 2013 12:45

Jo, re. electoral register - it depends where you are looking at. London has pretty extensive registers online, going up to the 1960's I think.
Where I live (Birmingham, obviously!) you can access some early registers online also, and no doubt a few other areas might have something similar, but outside London it will be quite patchy.
Otherwise you have to access records in person, usually at the nearest main library to the address.
Jan

Josephine

Josephine Report 26 Mar 2013 13:15

Thanks Jan - looks like a day out to the library then!!

Jo

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Mar 2013 15:56

This might be useful.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-place/houses.htm