Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriages in Scotland, Gretna Green

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Horrace

Horrace Report 28 Mar 2013 10:37

Is it at all possible to obtain the data for marriages at the Gretna Green forge? ;-)

Horrace

Horrace Report 28 Mar 2013 10:55

Thank you Mel !

The marriage I'm seeking info on was in 1984, so it's a bit too late for us!

Thank you, nevertheless!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Mar 2013 11:04

Try Scotlandspeople, a pay to view site for all Scottish records.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/welcome.aspx

You may be able to make a free search, buy credits to view the index results, then you'd would have to send off for the certificate for full details

Horrace

Horrace Report 28 Mar 2013 11:22

Thanks for that info Detective, much obliged.

Horrace

mgnv

mgnv Report 29 Mar 2013 02:10

The old style marriage over the anvil by the village blacksmith type marriage was abolished in (1 think) 1929.

Renes

Renes Report 4 Apr 2013 17:23

Have to say as a little girl ... I always said I was going to marry over the anvil

with my pony as my bridesmaid ......

:-D

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 4 Apr 2013 18:16

As a callow youth in 1966 I went on holiday to Scotland with the then 17 year old girlfriend. We stopped in Gretna Green where we purchased a "Marriage" certificate from the old blacksmiths gift shop. To make the picture complete we then bought a brass "Wedding" ring elsewhere.

On returning home we announced our marriage to her mother, who shall I say was not best pleased. When we eventually explained that we were having a joke her mother hit me. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2013 19:11

My father went on a coach tour around 1968/69 that included an hour or so in Gretna Green

He was widowed by then ..........

........... and "married" one of the women on the trip "over the anvil" as a joke!

I was over here by that time, and got a postcard announcing the "marriage" :-D :-D

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Apr 2013 23:49

I got married at Gretna Green over the anvil in the original blacksmith shop but the marriage was conducted by a retired minister who donated the fee to charity

Roy

Renes

Renes Report 5 Apr 2013 08:36

Jonesey

Hard to imagine you as a "callow youth". <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Apr 2013 04:25

hmmmmmmmmmm

yes, it does seem a hard image to conjure up

<3 <3

fionalesley

fionalesley Report 17 Apr 2013 00:31

Horace, you can view the images of Scottish marriages, online, from 1855 - 1935 on scotlandspeople. If you wish to see a later dated one then you'd need to send away for it. £7 will give you 30 credits which are valid for one year. To view an index costs 1 credit, & a further 5 credits allows you to see the image. hope this helps.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Apr 2013 04:15

Fiona

Horrace is looking for a marriage in 1984.

and DET has already given the informtion re Scotland's People

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Apr 2013 10:12

It's great to see someone 'new' giving suggestions/advice on look-up threads.

Most times it's worth having a read of the whole thread in case the information has already been given/found. At least Fiona was able to give the current costs which was new info to the thread ;-)

Not to worry - keep up the good work :-D