Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriages in Scotland, Gretna Green

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Apr 2013 10:12

It's great to see someone 'new' giving suggestions/advice on look-up threads.

Most times it's worth having a read of the whole thread in case the information has already been given/found. At least Fiona was able to give the current costs which was new info to the thread ;-)

Not to worry - keep up the good work :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Apr 2013 04:15

Fiona

Horrace is looking for a marriage in 1984.

and DET has already given the informtion re Scotland's People

fionalesley

fionalesley Report 17 Apr 2013 00:31

Horace, you can view the images of Scottish marriages, online, from 1855 - 1935 on scotlandspeople. If you wish to see a later dated one then you'd need to send away for it. £7 will give you 30 credits which are valid for one year. To view an index costs 1 credit, & a further 5 credits allows you to see the image. hope this helps.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Apr 2013 04:25

hmmmmmmmmmm

yes, it does seem a hard image to conjure up

<3 <3

Renes

Renes Report 5 Apr 2013 08:36

Jonesey

Hard to imagine you as a "callow youth". <3

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Apr 2013 23:49

I got married at Gretna Green over the anvil in the original blacksmith shop but the marriage was conducted by a retired minister who donated the fee to charity

Roy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2013 19:11

My father went on a coach tour around 1968/69 that included an hour or so in Gretna Green

He was widowed by then ..........

........... and "married" one of the women on the trip "over the anvil" as a joke!

I was over here by that time, and got a postcard announcing the "marriage" :-D :-D

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 4 Apr 2013 18:16

As a callow youth in 1966 I went on holiday to Scotland with the then 17 year old girlfriend. We stopped in Gretna Green where we purchased a "Marriage" certificate from the old blacksmiths gift shop. To make the picture complete we then bought a brass "Wedding" ring elsewhere.

On returning home we announced our marriage to her mother, who shall I say was not best pleased. When we eventually explained that we were having a joke her mother hit me. :-D

Renes

Renes Report 4 Apr 2013 17:23

Have to say as a little girl ... I always said I was going to marry over the anvil

with my pony as my bridesmaid ......

:-D

mgnv

mgnv Report 29 Mar 2013 02:10

The old style marriage over the anvil by the village blacksmith type marriage was abolished in (1 think) 1929.

Horrace

Horrace Report 28 Mar 2013 11:22

Thanks for that info Detective, much obliged.

Horrace

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Mar 2013 11:04

Try Scotlandspeople, a pay to view site for all Scottish records.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/welcome.aspx

You may be able to make a free search, buy credits to view the index results, then you'd would have to send off for the certificate for full details

Horrace

Horrace Report 28 Mar 2013 10:55

Thank you Mel !

The marriage I'm seeking info on was in 1984, so it's a bit too late for us!

Thank you, nevertheless!

Horrace

Horrace Report 28 Mar 2013 10:37

Is it at all possible to obtain the data for marriages at the Gretna Green forge? ;-)