Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unusual surname in your family tree.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Mar 2013 19:52

I'm interested to read about anyone who has come across an unusual surname, while doing family research...

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Mar 2013 20:02

It depends what you'd class as unusual.
What I have found is that a surname can be very common in some areas, but almost unheard of in others.

Not far from here, especially in the Dungeness area TART and OILLER are common... Names I'd never heard before moving to Kent.

Gwyn

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 29 Mar 2013 20:15

I think Kent must have some attraction for people with unusual surnames. In my tree I have Sheepwash, Fright and Johncock, all from Kent.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Mar 2013 22:14

My husband has Barnacles based around Long Itchington (I can feel an innuendo coming on ...!).
Jan

Reggie

Reggie Report 29 Mar 2013 23:10

I also have Barnacles from Long Itchington in my tree.............specifically William c1802, and his numerous offspring

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Mar 2013 23:36

Thanks for ALL the interesting replies, brill! Anymore...

Reggie

Reggie Report 30 Mar 2013 09:13

Don't you have any?

Gins

Gins Report 30 Mar 2013 09:30

'Barnacles'........sounds painful!

I have 'Iggo' and 'Clutterbuck' in my tree, thats about as interesting as it gets

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 Mar 2013 10:41

I have a Trickey, a Trottey and a Twigger, but my favpourite is Tamar Toon, a lady born in the 1870's.

Reggie

Reggie Report 30 Mar 2013 11:33

The surname isn't particularly unusual, but I have an Epenetes Wormald, which does rather set her apart.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Mar 2013 11:36

Some brilliant names there folks.
But - Reggie - just got your PM. I can't believe that! I am guessing all Long Itchington Barnacles are related somehow, so does that make us in-laws?
Jan :-D

Reggie

Reggie Report 30 Mar 2013 12:04

Probably out-laws........LOL!

One of my Barnacles married a Spraggett............nothing so 'normal' as Smith or Jones!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Mar 2013 12:30

Our Barnacle married a Kibler.
The only other slightly unusual combination I have is a Bore to a Legge - but can't compete with the gems above!
Jan

GHeather

GHeather Report 30 Mar 2013 13:27

I think I may have a: Shrubsoll from Kent, linked to my Wise/Theobalds line.

GHeather

GHeather Report 30 Mar 2013 13:29

Thanks for all your info, unusual surnames are much better to research I hope.

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 31 Mar 2013 10:59

I have accounted for every Nutzlader in the UK and they all descend from one individual who married my g-grandfather's sister.

wisechild

wisechild Report 31 Mar 2013 14:18

My 3xg grandmother was Mary Mirehouse.
I understand that all Mirehouses descend from the original farmhouse of Miresyke in Cumberland at the time of Edward the Confessor.
&No, they are not easy to follow.!!!

GHeather

GHeather Report 31 Mar 2013 14:34

Thanks wisechild, very interesting!

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 31 Mar 2013 17:49

I have an Okal, Drago and Sneckenburger all m into my family.l

Alan

Alan Report 31 Mar 2013 18:12

I have Dongworth, Ollyett and Detnon in my tree.
With the Detnons can find them until 1838 then no trace before that.