Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA Tests...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Mar 2013 23:46

What is your view on DNA testing ?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Mar 2013 04:31

to be honest ....................

in general, useless!!

and a waste of money

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 30 Mar 2013 08:09

.... it depends on which type and in what context .....

Reggie

Reggie Report 30 Mar 2013 09:11

Probably a waste of money.........but, if you can afford to waste that amount of cash.............

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 30 Mar 2013 10:07

I would say in general a waste of money - but a lot depends on what you wish to know.

So if you want to know that your family originates in Africa and came to your country via either the quick route through W. Europe or the longer route via E. Europe then yes waste your money

If you have found a person who you think you may be related to and you both want to do so then a DNA test will confirm

If, however, you want to take a DNA test in the vain hope that you will find family connections, forget it, there is no DNA database that holds these kinds of records for the general public.

So in reality in my honest and humble opinion a lot of money going to one company to provide you with not a lot.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 Mar 2013 10:46

I did have a quick look into it last year as I have an unusual surname with only a couple of hundred of us in the entire world, but it is expensive with no guarantees that it will tell you anything useful.

GHeather

GHeather Report 30 Mar 2013 13:31

MarieC, I was refering to DNA family research, I should have mentioned that.

GHeather

GHeather Report 30 Mar 2013 13:33

Piglet P, you made some very interesting points.

Reggie

Reggie Report 30 Mar 2013 23:03

What is 'DNA family research'?

What do you think it would give you?

How is it used? And by whom?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 31 Mar 2013 12:17

I think much of that which is advertised as 'DNA Family Research' is in the main US based.

So although they may be in the UK, the bulk of their DNA results will be from the US.

I could be very derogatory about this whole set-up but am reining in my thoughts on this so as not to offend anyone.

:-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 31 Mar 2013 12:31

There is a long article on Wikipedia, most of which is too technical for me to follow!!

The link below is quite interesting and at least gives you some idea of what it will cost.

http://www.familytreedna.com/

I also agree with PP and will say no more!

GHeather

GHeather Report 31 Mar 2013 14:37

Come on PP, give us more of your thoughts on the 'whole set-up'. ;-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 31 Mar 2013 22:13

Cheeky grin - say no more

:-D

Renes

Renes Report 5 Apr 2013 10:39

Nudge for Susie

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 14 Apr 2013 17:10

I have just been to a talk in our local village hall about DNA, given by Alastair Moffat, one of the team who does DNA testing for WDYTYA. It was very interesting and, depending what you want out of it, possibly worth the cost - £170.

He made the point that most of it is American based because, if you can prove that you aren't carrying any hereditary diseases, you can get a substantial discount on your health insurance premiums!!

The link below is for people with Scottish ancestry, but there is a similar website for Ireland and also one for Yorkshire, so I don't think it actually matters where you live or where your ancestors came from.

It is all interesting, but to see what you get for your money, click on DEMO.

http://www.scotlandsdna.com/

GHeather

GHeather Report 14 Apr 2013 20:18

Thanks for this Andysmum. :-)