Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions as to where to look from here,

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joyce

Joyce Report 1 Apr 2013 01:50

I have been looking for my husbands brother for years and run out of ideas where to look,My husbands mother died when he was five in 1936,one brother was adopted,who i have since traced and three older ones grew up in a orphanage,sadly have all passed on now but when my husband was alive i was researching his family and found another brother Eric Lawrence born April 1936,his mothers death registered in May,sent for birth certificate and sure enough it was another brother but where he went is amystery,not in death records,so survived,not in adoption records,checked with LMA they have no record on him,unlike the adopted brother who i traced,am at a loss as to where else i can look from here been searching for ten years now,dose anyone have any idea,s.
thank-you
Joyce

jax

jax Report 1 Apr 2013 04:20

I take it you are in contact with the other members who have him in their tree?

Joyce

Joyce Report 1 Apr 2013 10:34

searched no other members who have him in tree are looking.they only have him from mine.
my husbands mum had 7 children.two died before one year old.one adopted.who i managed to trace in 2006 just before loseing my husband.due to law being changed on siblings being allowed to search.sadly he had died few years earlier but met niece and nephew and saw pictures etc.my husband and two older brothers were brought up in orphanage and had no contact with family had to find out through searching.one brother died in war aged 18 that left two.my husband died in 2006 and his brother 2008.the 7th brother is a mystery.know he was born at his aunts in spa mansions Bermondsey.know he survived as no death entry.no mention of him in husbands records.no file on him at LMA as there was on adopted brother.no adoption listed on his birth certificate.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Apr 2013 11:22

Might he have been sent to Australia as part of the 'Lost Children' programme?

"The first vessel to transport these children was the SS Asturias in 1947 with a 'cargo' of 147 boys and girls."

The Canadian Home Child programme stopped 1957, and mainly accepted 4 - 15 year olds. I've looked at a few searchable links related to that, but there is no Eric Lawrence (as spelt) listed. It might be worth checking with the Laurence spelling or using wild cards.

Joyce

Joyce Report 1 Apr 2013 12:47

yes i have looked at these.my only thought is that someone took him in privately .if so would he have kept his surname.his aunt where he was born was Ada Putman Spa Mansions.i dont know how to use electorial rolls.it has been hardwork traceing the family.i know Aunt Ada had two older daughters but have not managed to trace them.they were early teens.
thank you for your help.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 1 Apr 2013 17:50

Ancestry – latest Roll entry for ‘Ada Putman’ is 1930

George Putman, Ada Putman, Harold Putman
9 Marshall’s Place, Bermondsey

At that address in 1928
George Putman, Ada Putman, Henry Edward Lawrence, Florence Annie Lawrence

This family is part of one Ancestry Public Tree. (Rowntree Tree – owner derekrowntree) Have you had contact with the owner?

George and Ada were Florence’s parents.
The tree shows that prior to her death 14 May 1936 (1904-1936) Florence produced 6 sons and 1 daughter. 3 sons are named (ie deceased) Albert, Ronnie and Leslie.
It also shows that Florence had an elder sister Ada, who married William Patrick Scanlan and produced 2 daughters and 1 son. The daughters are ‘private’ but….

Ada E and William P married 1914Q2
All Scanlan/Putman births were in the Bermondsey area:- William P 1915, George J 1916, Ada R 1921, Violet M 1922
Also Patrick W1935 – not too late as the tree shows Ada was born in 1898. And he is the only son in the tree.
The 1934&1935 Rolls show her as Ada Elizabeth.

As to your Eric Lawrence. If alive, in London and still “Lawrence” he should appear on the Roll from either 1957or 1958, ie after his 21st birthday.

I hope that something in the above is new to you.

Joyce

Joyce Report 1 Apr 2013 20:17

thank you once again.yes i have been in touch with Derek Rowntree.he only knows from me.at the time.we had.nt found Leonard who was adopted and of course Eric is missing.Patrick Scanlan died young in early 60.s.found his son on genes but his parents had split up when he was young and had no contact with his dads family.
been putting my thinking cap on and trying to concentrate on Ada.s daughters.Ada R Scanlan born 1919 i think married George Taylor and Violet M Scanlan born 1922 married William Lewis but these are both common surnames.my only hope now is to try and trace these and see if they know anything .
thank you again
kind regards
Joyce

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Apr 2013 13:46

Have you tried any forces sites as he may have done National Service at aged 18- 20/?

Service Pals,

Forces Reunited,

marriage lookups in his birth name from age 21, as he appears not to have been adopted,