Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boer War record transcription what does MI mean?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ELVIE

ELVIE Report 3 Apr 2013 18:04

Hello everyone, I found a transcription on Ancestry for a relative who was killed in the South African Conflict. Under remarks there is 2 letters : MI anyone know what this means ?

Thanks

Name: Blah Blah
Casualty Type: Killed
Casualty Date: 20 Mar 1901
Casualty Place: Brandfort
Force: South Africa Field Force
Regiment: Durham Light Infantry
Battalion: 2nd Battalion
Number: xxxx
Remarks: M I

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 3 Apr 2013 18:23

Perhaps Mounted Infantry?

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/TheMountedInfantry.aspx

Best wishes
Mayfield

greyghost

greyghost Report 3 Apr 2013 18:27

Is there a M emorial I nscription somewhere for those killed in the Boer War on which his name is inscribed?

ELVIE

ELVIE Report 3 Apr 2013 18:40

Stuart, I've seen the memorial outside Durham Cathedral but it his name only on there. Thanks for the suggestion.

ELVIE

ELVIE Report 3 Apr 2013 18:43

Mayfield, That's a good idea - I'll look into it. Thank you.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Apr 2013 19:26

Boer War 1899-1902 - Soldier details

Name:
Soldier number:
Unit: 2 Battalion The Durham Light Infantry
Notes: [The National Archives WO100. The QSA and KSA campaign medal rolls.]
Medal roll (from National Archives WO100 series):
Roll Page
201 168
Memorial:
Cathedral Green north-west of main door. Celtic Cross Durham LI Durham COUNTY DURHAM England
Casualty:
Casualty details: Killed on 20 Mar 1901 at Nr Brandfort (Official casualty roll location: Nr Brandfort)
Unit: 2 Battalion The Durham Light Infantry
Source: South African Field Force. JB Hayward & Sons
Gazetteer:
[2826: 2842-2628] a town and district in the Orange Free State (Brandfort district; Free State); 60 km north of Bloemfontein. The district furnished a commando for the Boer forces (Cmdt A.J. Bester). After the fall of Bloemfontein (2)* in March 1900, the area was covered by some 3,000 burghers under the command of Asst Cmdt-Gen J.H. de la Rey who had his headquarters in the town. After token resistance, the town was taken by the central column of the British army advancing northwards on 3 May 1900. A white concentration refugee camp was established there in March 1901 and by August it held 3,404 people, most of whom were women and children. HMG III pp.42-43 (map no.38), IV p.668; Times IV pp.18, 28 and 102-103 (map of the Orange Free State in the front pocket); Breytenbach V pp.320-325 (map facing p.482).

Units:
Number:
Unit: Burma Mounted Infantry; served with

(above details from Find My Past, with name removed as you have done so)

Chris :)

ELVIE

ELVIE Report 3 Apr 2013 19:50

Chris - many thanks for all this info - I did see the entry in Find my Past but couldn't view the details as my credits ran out. Thank you again