Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boer War record transcription what does MI mean?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ELVIE

ELVIE Report 3 Apr 2013 19:50

Chris - many thanks for all this info - I did see the entry in Find my Past but couldn't view the details as my credits ran out. Thank you again

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Apr 2013 19:26

Boer War 1899-1902 - Soldier details

Name:
Soldier number:
Unit: 2 Battalion The Durham Light Infantry
Notes: [The National Archives WO100. The QSA and KSA campaign medal rolls.]
Medal roll (from National Archives WO100 series):
Roll Page
201 168
Memorial:
Cathedral Green north-west of main door. Celtic Cross Durham LI Durham COUNTY DURHAM England
Casualty:
Casualty details: Killed on 20 Mar 1901 at Nr Brandfort (Official casualty roll location: Nr Brandfort)
Unit: 2 Battalion The Durham Light Infantry
Source: South African Field Force. JB Hayward & Sons
Gazetteer:
[2826: 2842-2628] a town and district in the Orange Free State (Brandfort district; Free State); 60 km north of Bloemfontein. The district furnished a commando for the Boer forces (Cmdt A.J. Bester). After the fall of Bloemfontein (2)* in March 1900, the area was covered by some 3,000 burghers under the command of Asst Cmdt-Gen J.H. de la Rey who had his headquarters in the town. After token resistance, the town was taken by the central column of the British army advancing northwards on 3 May 1900. A white concentration refugee camp was established there in March 1901 and by August it held 3,404 people, most of whom were women and children. HMG III pp.42-43 (map no.38), IV p.668; Times IV pp.18, 28 and 102-103 (map of the Orange Free State in the front pocket); Breytenbach V pp.320-325 (map facing p.482).

Units:
Number:
Unit: Burma Mounted Infantry; served with

(above details from Find My Past, with name removed as you have done so)

Chris :)

ELVIE

ELVIE Report 3 Apr 2013 18:43

Mayfield, That's a good idea - I'll look into it. Thank you.

ELVIE

ELVIE Report 3 Apr 2013 18:40

Stuart, I've seen the memorial outside Durham Cathedral but it his name only on there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Stuart

Stuart Report 3 Apr 2013 18:27

Is there a M emorial I nscription somewhere for those killed in the Boer War on which his name is inscribed?

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 3 Apr 2013 18:23

Perhaps Mounted Infantry?

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/TheMountedInfantry.aspx

Best wishes
Mayfield

ELVIE

ELVIE Report 3 Apr 2013 18:04

Hello everyone, I found a transcription on Ancestry for a relative who was killed in the South African Conflict. Under remarks there is 2 letters : MI anyone know what this means ?

Thanks

Name: Blah Blah
Casualty Type: Killed
Casualty Date: 20 Mar 1901
Casualty Place: Brandfort
Force: South Africa Field Force
Regiment: Durham Light Infantry
Battalion: 2nd Battalion
Number: xxxx
Remarks: M I