Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clarification from GR staff regarding refering to

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Apr 2013 22:15

Ancestry or other sites when using these boards

It has previously been stated by Estelle

"Quoting Estelle

"It is fine to mention other sites with regards to look-ups, especially if you have found something on there that could help someone.
What we don't accept is the following:
1). People asking questions about Ancestry (or other sites) - how much it costs, and that type of question.
2). Derogatory comments about our site in comparison to other family history sites. "

Reply from Rachel as to whether the above statement from Estelle has changed:

Quoting Rachel

"We do allow members to mention Ancestry on the boards - just not promote it. For example last week ( I think) there was a thread entitled 'free ancestry trial' or something like this - we would deem this to be promoting our competitors services.

Also Estelle's points still stand- members asking questions about Ancestry services we wouldn't allow, and also derogatory comments about our site in comparison to other family history sites - such as Ancestry.

Whereas we would allow members to discuss family history information they have found on Ancestry. I hope that makes sense and seems fair.

We follow these guideline when looking at posts.
It's number 3 of your general conduct
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/contents/messageboardguidelines
'Please refrain from advertising any businesses, competitor or other, on the Genes Reunited Message Boards.'

and

number 5

. Withdrawing Material

We may, at our sole discretion, withdraw any material which appears to breach these rules, or to bring the Genes Reunited service into disrepute -

I hope this helps Rose.

Kind Regards,

Rachel "

I have reposted this to keep it simple and clear for members and remove un-necessary personal comments from the original thread.

I would be grateful if this could be kept near the top of the board so that everyone has a chance to read it.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 4 Apr 2013 22:21

Happy to do so Rose. :-D

Renes

Renes Report 4 Apr 2013 22:26

Thanks for taking the trouble to email Genes Reunited and post their replies Rose

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Apr 2013 22:34

Golly gee, thumbs up then (vintage dress advert......!)

Isn't most of this in the site T's and C's and the Guidelines for Message Board Use?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 4 Apr 2013 22:37

Have you seen the length of the Ts and Cs for this site?

One loses the will to live after 3 minutes. :-(

This is much clearer......thanks Rose.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Apr 2013 22:46

Q "Have you seen the length of the Ts and Cs for this site? "
A "Yes I have"

Have you read the Guidelines for Message Board Use? This is in fact more relevant.

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Apr 2013 22:46

Yes it is IGP, as is

"You will not upload to the Genes Reunited Service any material or content which is in any way defamatory, obscene, unlawful, harmful, offensive or inappropriate or infringes the rights of a third party or may have the effect of being harassing......"

I consider you are harassing me, given the snide and shouting comment on my previous thread.

If YOU don't need clarification fair enough, there is no reason for you read it or comment here is there.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2013 22:50

Thank you for getting the clarification, RR

sorry to see that you had to re-post it ....... I assume because of unnecessary, or even unpleasant, comments on the other?!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2013 22:54

There is only one thing that puzzles me after reading Rachel's reply to you .....

We have known for years that one can find information on other sites, and then post that information on here, stating clearly where we found it.

I have always done that, as I consider part of my "job" as a helper on here is to help others learn more about where to look.

But what does puzzle me is ..................

What about records that are not found on GR, for example LMA records?

Are we allowed to say, "you need to go to xxxxxxx to find those records"????

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Apr 2013 23:02

In my view Sylvia you can say

"This info was found ( or may be found) in the LMA records held by Ancestry ( or a free site etc) but is not currently available here"

That's a statement of fact, not an encouragement to join another site.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2013 23:11

RR

that's what I was thinking would be / might be acceptable!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2013 23:13

off out for my afternoon soy latte .....

........... and get some energy back from the full strength coffee

OH calls that ................... leaded (vs unleaded, or decaffeinated) :-D

see you later

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 5 Apr 2013 00:12

RR I'm glad GR have comment and updated the info.
Feel battle bruised.
Glad all this nastiness can now float away

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Apr 2013 09:19

I doubt that GR can stop people from asking the questions.

The crux of the matter is how the replies are worded.

If I see a question about what is available on other sites, or how much they cost, I always advise the enquirer to access the Home Page of the site in question, and find out for themselves.

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Apr 2013 12:14

Nudge for any new readers.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 6 Apr 2013 00:33

Thank you Rose

that is much clearer :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Apr 2013 05:22

nudge for new readers

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Apr 2013 20:05

it seems that this might still be a problem!

Joy

Joy Report 10 Apr 2013 21:48

Unfortunately there seems to be inconsistency still :(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Apr 2013 22:02

I gather a poster was asked earlier today to remove their thread because the "ancestry" was mentioned :-(

very unfortunate ................ especially if it was a newbie who was asked to remove the post.