Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ann Williams aka Edwards - Convict - Tasmania

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

cookie4416

cookie4416 Report 5 Apr 2013 14:17

My husband is a decendant of Ann Williams
She was born to William and Mary Williams
at Y Gegin Filwr, Llanfechell, Anglesey in 1842
I have her story and her diary about her trip to Tasmania as a convict but have been unable to find her mother and father and rest of the family.
Also tried to Google to see where she lived but found I was unable to.
Does anyone know where I would be able to obtain such photos.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Apr 2013 14:36

You could try Anglsea Archive if you mean (near) contemporary images of the area

http://www.anglesey.gov.uk/leisure/records-and-archives/

There may be links to old maps here

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~genmaps/genfiles/COU_Pages
/WAL_pages/agy.htm

How sure are you about the date of birth? Although not familiar with the years when transportation would have been an option, a conviction with transportation after say 1892 sounds a little unrealistic (but more than happy to be corrected)

A google search result of 'Y Gegin Filwr, Llanfechell, Anglesey in 1882 ' gives a result of

http://www.cymdeithashanesmechell.co.uk/cegin_filwrs.htm
"This is the story of Anne Williams, Cegin Filwr, Llanfechell who was transported to Tasmania in 1842 for milking a neighbour's cow in a field and drinking the milk....."

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Apr 2013 14:48

There is a mention on the last site listed above about a reference to Anne Williams aka Anne Edwards in a book *published* in 1884 - probably a slip of the finger when you typed.

An extract from the diary dated 1 April 1842 states that she will be 27 when her sentence is served in 10years time, so she was 17 then and born c 1825.

Have you tried https://www.familysearch.org/ for baptism records as Birth certificates/registration didn't start until 1837

Does the diary give the names of any siblings to try and identify the correct Williams family on the 1841 census?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Apr 2013 16:25

I have just read the above link and the story is fascinating. She seems to have had a wild streak even after arriving in Australia - It doesn't say so, but I hope she settled down after getting married and having children.

It also gives you her parents' names and their ages in the 1841 census (rounded down so slightly inaccurate).

cookie4416

cookie4416 Report 5 Apr 2013 22:16

Thank you for picking up on my error - YES I did have the wrong date when she came to Australia.it was 1842 - have corrected.
Not sure if she did settle when coming to Australia.
Sne married a Robert Couth West and had children
Have only just started looking into her life in Australia,
A Sinner,s Dairy - it is her story on events of what happened to her on her trip to Australia. - worth reading
Wonder what happened to her little book also interesting that she was able to read and write.
Would like to find out more about her family.

Neil

Neil Report 22 Sep 2013 23:45

She settled enough to have six children, the first was born when she was still a convict, my great great grand father was her second born.
I purchased: O Fon I Van Diemen's Land (Llyfrau Llafar Gwlad ) Her story, and tried to translate it with Google Translate, (what a job) Thanks to the link above it is all done.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Sep 2013 00:02

Hi Neil and welcome to the boards.

Do you know the original poster, Cook? If not you could contact her by clicking on her name. As long as she still has the same email address, GR will let her know that you have left a personal message.