Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriages and Banns Query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 24 Apr 2013 14:48

I am just wondering about (probably) Parish Records. I know that I recently saw a thread that mentioned a marriage and confusion over when it actually took place (2 different years). I recall a response on the thread said that there was a note in the margin of the first 'marriage' entry (viewed online), to say an impediment - both were under age and one did not have consent.

So my question - if a marriage took place, and subsequently an "amendment" was made, and noted in the margin of the (parish) marriage register, if I ordered a cert from GRO would there be something to show the "amendment" - because there is that strange diagonal line on the far right of marriage certificates that I have purchased from GRO. Or would that 'amendment' also be included on the cert purchased?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

J-A

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Apr 2013 15:33

I might be wrong but I think that any alteration is put in a book at the registrar office where the wedding took place.

Not sure but I think they might be numbered

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 24 Apr 2013 15:41

Thanks GB, that is helpful - I couldn't imagine that they wouldn't record it somewhere - just whether it is accessible (if it exists!)

J-A

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Apr 2013 16:24

If the marriage didn't take place, a cert would not have been issued

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 24 Apr 2013 16:46

True Reggie, but if it did, and then for whatever reason an amendment needed to be made......... - I must find that other thread as an example

EDIT: ADDED

OK here is the other thread (even though on the original date the marriage did not go ahead) as an example:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1323395

and I have seen images online of marriages in registers (London marriages) with notes annotated in the margins - so was wondering how/whether these notes/info would be transferred to a marriage cert purchased from GRO

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Apr 2013 17:14

One of my mums names were incorrect on her 1929 marriage cert, the name was amended and initialed presumably by the vicar at the time they signed the register.

He put one of her names as Hester when it was Esther and this was amended in the margin by her full name.

Each cert is numbered so once it has been made out it will have to be amended rather than a new cert issued

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 24 Apr 2013 18:06

Ah ha Shirley~~ thank you. Exactly the sort of thing I was wondering about.

So what happens if a cert is ordered from the GRO - do they put the name Hester in the bride name details box or do they put Esther? Or do they put Hester and also the note in the margin that it should read Esther?

Because I am wondering if the correct details (ie Esther) in the bride name box then it isn't exactly a copy of the original marriage entry - and therefore does that mean that if access to the original register is possible that there is, perhaps, 'additional' information?

Actually, just thought of something - might be able to answer my own question - off to find a cert

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 24 Apr 2013 18:22

It was Mary Ann Kelly's weddiing and the impediment was written right across under the name of the groom. I worked on that thread.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Apr 2013 18:41

I have mum and dads cert and its looks to be a photo copy of the original parish cert with the amendment in the margin on the left of mums name. .

its certainly their signatures on the cert so is the original.

The Hester is there she was Grace Rosina Esther May . and in the box its Grace Rosina HESTER May. The Hester has been lined through and Esther put in the margin and initialed

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 24 Apr 2013 18:50

Mel and Shirley - thank you, armed with this information I'm off to 'Evelyn's Thread' - perhaps there is a clue in the original parish record for her mother's marriage.

I found the cert I was looking for - from GRO - all nicely written but when I view it online, I can see an error in the groom's signature - think he had trouble signing - so possibly, just possibly worth trying to see the original - not even sure that is possible.

Thanks again

J-A

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Apr 2013 23:52

Aren't GRO issued certificates *copies* of the originals? They'd be kept at the place of marriage and copies sent every quarter to the Reg Office and then copied again (if a Church wedding) and sent onto GRO.

Double check the handwriting on the GRO issued copy. It could be a transcribed version all be it transcribed by hand

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 25 Apr 2013 10:02

Thanks DET, yes I think it is transcribed - on one cert the 'X' is different to the one I can now look at online - but from Shirley~'s comment they must transcribe even the info (if any) in the margin