Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish birth records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lulubelle

Lulubelle Report 3 May 2013 16:25

Quite a newbie to family tree research. Can anyone point me in the right direction for Scottish Birth records please?
Thank you. :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 May 2013 16:29

Scotlands people. Pay-to-view.

Credits cost £7.00 for 30

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 3 May 2013 18:11

Depending on area and year you may have some luck on familysearch.org and freereg.org.uk (both free).

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 4 May 2013 12:10

Welcome to the Community boards Lulubelle....

Lulubelle is a new poster. I've sent a friendly message to let her know how to return to her thread. :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 4 May 2013 15:49

Family Search holds quite a bit on Scottish Records
MARRIAGE BANNS up to 1854
MARRIAGES 1855-1875
BAPTISMS up to 1854- may include a birth date, but where a child has no given name, this will relate a death of an unbaptised infant. This info was taken from mortcloth rolls and converted to reflect a birth.
BIRTHS from 1855-1875
To obtain the actual record, Scotlands People is the site.
£7 purchases 30 credits. Purchase of one certificate uses 6 credits

EDIT:
From another thread, I have just discovered that the old (and easier ) version of the IGI still exists.
If you know the place/town of birth, try this one..http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryScotland.htm#PageTitle