Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

USEFUL TIP: 's' or 'f'?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 5 May 2013 09:37

Here's a tip for searching websites of 18th century documents or older. If you're keying in an ancestor's name that contains the letter 's', try substituting the letter 'f'. I thought I had found all I could on my Wilmshurst ancestors but then I keyed in 'Wilmfhurft' and found a whole load if documents I would otherwise have missed.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 May 2013 11:17

In addition to this it will often not be the last S which is an F if ending in a double S.

ie Lass will be shown as Lafs Class = Clafs

Just to make life easier for us

:-D :-D

Joy

Joy Report 5 May 2013 11:25

And the letter l, too, sometimes :)
ie Ladd / Sadd.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 May 2013 15:03

You can sometimes see the fs for a double s in the middle of a word as well

Rufsel for Russel. It probably depends on a) the transcriber and b) the education of the original scribe

Janet

Janet Report 5 May 2013 15:33

In addition to 18th century documents also on the 18th century newspaper when looking for a marriage for example enter" Mifs Jones" as a keyword.-j

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 May 2013 22:13

an easier way is to use the wild card on sites that will allow it

? = 1 letter

* = 2 or more letters

I prefer to use this method whenever possible.