Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

long shot but stuck on Berners (London)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 9 May 2013 12:32

This family were very well to do it seems, origianlly coming from Norfolk and a Norfolk church still has plaques dedicated to them. The family had sea captains and Dukes, and royalty if you go back far enough. However, my ancestor Elizabeth Berners born 1758 seems to have been the only one adopted out (typical!!) and I cant work out WHY. She was born in the lying-in hospital in Long Acre, Holborn, London, and baptised at Coram foundling hospital and records show her name changed to Catherine Walker. Each child had their name changed upon baptism. Later she was one of the girls transferred upto Ackworth, Yorkshire, when a home opened up there. She did marry, but her descendents spent their years in poverty, probably not knowing their roots. Coram was for abandoned babies or those whose mothers couldnt afford to keep them - her parents (Gregory and Grace) are actually named on the baptism record thank goodness as its shown I have the right girl. None of her siblings appear to have been adopted. She was the youngest of 7, and her aunt Bridget was the mother of Captain Vancouver. Is there anything else I can do? I did email Coram but got no reply.

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 May 2013 12:40

Hi RS do you know what happened to her parents after her birth?

RStar

RStar Report 9 May 2013 12:44

Hi Rose. No unfortunately, I wondered if the mother died but she's named on the baptism so Im assuming (not sure) that her death wasn't the cause of Elizabeth going into the Coram home. Unless the family had lost their money, Im surprised she went into the home at all, I thought another family member would have taken her in. Edit, I shouldnt have said adopted out as she wasnt officially adopted. She spent her life at the Coram home then at the Ackworth home, before marrying James Atkinson from Leeds.

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 May 2013 12:59

No I can't find a death so far for either Grace or Gregory

RStar

RStar Report 9 May 2013 13:01

Thanks for looking Rose.

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 May 2013 14:31

RS just looking at these on Familysearch on the baptism it says father George, second one says Gregory as father with Jane as mother..... but I am wondering if 'george' is actually Gregory given it is the same location of birth as Elizabeth?

Name: Gregory Berners
Christening Date: 09 Jul 1767
Christening Place: LYING IN HOSPITAL ENDELL STREET,HOLBORN,LONDON,ENGLAND
Birth Date: 26 Jun 1767
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: George Berners
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Jane
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C05524-1
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 0916633 (RG8)
Reference ID:

This is the birth which seems to be probable

Name: Gregory Berners
Event Type: Birth
Birth Date: 26 Jun 1767
Birthplace: Holborn, Middlesex
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Marriage Date:
Marriage Place:
Death Date:
Death Place:
Burial Date:
Burial Place:
Father's Name: Gregory Berners
Mother's Name: Jane Berners

I'm just wondering if this might be relevant? If Grace was ill when they put Elizabeth with the foundling hospital, she may have died and Gregory remarried somewhere between 1758 and 1767?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 9 May 2013 17:21

Romany Star...."Coram House" Nursery Ackworth is part of the Prestigious Ackworth Quaker Scool founded in 1700s will send you a backround via Pm in case you dont have it...also where to access the records.

RStar

RStar Report 9 May 2013 17:59

Rose, It's possible. This Gregory may be a cousin - although I dont have a George in the tree, and Ive done the Berner's side. I would have expected to find a death for Grace tho, the kids (except Elizabeth) were all baptised at Canterbury cathedral so the family still seemed well to do even if they weren't quite as grand as in previous generations. But yes, this definitely has to fit in somewhere, thankyou!!
Eringobragh, I'll read your message now - thankyou for taking the time.