Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pre-owned certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 23 May 2013 16:41

having just ordered my first certificate and finding its not who i thought it was, does anyone know of a site where you can sell ones that you have bought that are wrong and want to sell on?

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 23 May 2013 16:49

http://www.certificate-exchange.co.uk/index.php

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 May 2013 18:26

http://www.bmdshare.com/

But it is a sharing info site, not one where you can sell 'wrong' ones

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 May 2013 19:43

You will not find it easy to sell on an unwanted certificate.

I do not know of anyone who has tried.

You could add a Postem to FreeBMD listing some of the information form the certificate to help others.

I keep all my certificates including the wronguns as they are part of the reasearch and in fact quite recently discovered that one of my wronguns was in fact a cousin I had never known about.

You will find over time that this will probably not be that last you order which is not the person you were looking for. I comes with the territory.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 23 May 2013 20:13

hi pigletspal, i know that this will be the first of many "wrong" ones just wondered if they was a way of passing the information on. I really thought the name i am looking for (lemon) was going to be a a little easier due to it been a unusual. how wrong could i be. lol

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 23 May 2013 20:21

To cut down on the amount of unwanted birth certificates when buying from the GRO select not knowing the GRO ref, enter the date and press next

Enter surname, forename and set date of birth as 01.01. and year you think the event took place

Enter place of birth
Father/Mothers name

they will search the year before, the year and the year after the event.

They will only charge you £9.25 if a certificate is produced. If no certificate is produced then no charge is made and your money is refunded. It takes longer to get the certificate though.

jax

jax Report 23 May 2013 20:35

Was this the marriage cert from the 60s? if so was it the man who was born in 1942?

As the person is still living and possably on her 4th marriage I doubt whether anyone would want it yet

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 23 May 2013 21:12

You can't sell them.

I have collected hundreds of certs over the years.
I have also kept all my mistakes.

So many times I found them to be a distant relation or I've seen somebody who is asking about a person.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 25 May 2013 16:40

hi jax, yes it was the marriage from 1967 and he was born in 1935. so not sure if Robert got married again after his first to Lillian. he was from Ireland so he may have gone back there but not sure how i can find that out. Before i found out that the Robert i was looking for was different to the Robert who married Christine i managed to find a Deborah Lemon and emailed here to asking if they could be the same, she asked for more information so i gave her what i know and she asked about my mum, who we thought could have been her half sister. i've given her all the information but haven't heard anything back and that was 5 days ago. as for the certificate i'm going to keep hold of it, you never know may come in handy.

jax

jax Report 25 May 2013 16:59

Yes I told you Deborah was a child from that marriage in 1967....As she and her brother then went on to take their stepfathers name, doubt whether she had much if anything to do with her father.....If it was the Robert born 1942 on the marriage cert you purchased, looks like he died in 1998

I did say that marriage was probably not the right one as there would have been a 14 year age gap Between Robert and Christine...not impossable but there was a younger Robert who fitted the bill aswell.

Your Robert could have gone back to Ireland or anywhere really...he may still be alive as he would only be 78

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 25 May 2013 20:16

yes Robert would be 78 in December this year. cant seem to find a death ceft for Robert in the uk but not sure where to get Irish ones from. he could have gone anywhere.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 25 May 2013 22:48

Irish certificates can be ordered from:-

http://www.groireland.ie/

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 26 May 2013 15:08

Jennifer

i have Lemon in my tree from the gateshead area... It is Lemon, Lemmon, Leamon, Lemman... very frustrating.... if you pm me with full details of the certificate if it fits my tree i would be interested in purchasing it...
thanks
kim

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 29 May 2013 13:51

Ji kim i have sent u a message with some of the information on it. jennifer