Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Search results

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SUE

SUE Report 25 May 2013 15:41

Hi I am brand new to this, when I search for a relative (living or ancestral) how do I add to the family tree? I have added my immediate family using the add button on the family tree, but for others I need to confirm using the census/marriage/death search but can't figure out how to add these directly to my tree. thanks in aniticpation
Sue

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 May 2013 15:47

Sue you need to work back methodically. To add relatives you need to know where they are in the tree . you cant just random add someone.

I started with me !! I know who my parents were and my siblings . once I had mum and dad entered then I could add their parents and siblings and work back.

Its a slow process sometimes that needs to verified with census and certs

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 25 May 2013 17:14

Sue I think you need to add them manually !!! find the details then write them down and add them in the same way u added your family so to your mum add a mother ect ect

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 May 2013 22:21

You can't copy from censuses or BMD indices to your tree.

You have to take the info from the census and bmd records, and transfer it to your tree yourself, using the 'add' button

And.....please bear in mind GR's rules about not adding living people to your GR tree without getting the permission of every individual.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 26 May 2013 16:42

Hello Sue and welcome to the community boards.

If you look on the Find Ancestors board, you will see some advice threads pinned at the top of it - they should be of some help to you. When you get stuck on finding any information, please come back and post a query on that board and someone will be able to help you I'm sure.

As Sue is a new poster, I will send her a friendly message to let her now how to return to this thread. :-)

SUE

SUE Report 26 May 2013 18:49

Thanks everyone for your replies :-) I have asked all my family if its ok to add them and I know their birthdates so that has been fine. However when i searched for my great grandparents for example I think I found the right one but then when I add it to my tree it has a little purple rosette which tells me there are x number of records and x number of matched trees, and so I am not sure how to double check - is it best to use record number from say the census or entry form birth records. I've started to save copies of records in my keepsake but then it says view in tree but then it doesn't appear on my tree.
Sory for all the questions, I'm just not getting how to navigate around and as i only got a months subscription I want to make sure I can do it before I go for more.
Many thanks kind folk :)

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 26 May 2013 20:16

I can't help with your attaching records but I would recommend that you download a copy of all records you are attaching to your tree so that you always have a copy. If you cancel your subs at some point in the future the records attached to your tree will disappear and you will no longer be able to view them.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 May 2013 21:47

Don't bother with double-checking anything based on the 'matches' suggested by GR.

Rely only on your research.....................and the proven results you find.

The dates on birth records are the accurate ones. Census ages are as at the date on which the census was taken.....which was not the same each time - hence the variations which can occur from one census to another. Plus the fact that people were not as age-obsessed then as they are now.

You may not be aware that until 1875 there were no penalties for not registering births, so when you get back before that year, you may find that not all births can be found on freebmd. That's the time to start looking for baptisms.................

SUE

SUE Report 27 May 2013 18:44

Cheers everyone, with your tips and a bit of luck I'm sure I'll get the hang of it....in fact I'm getting better, just wish I had more time! Good to know there is so much help and advice which is much appreciated - wonder if I'll ever be in the position to give as well as recieve :)