Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not finding records on a particular site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jax

jax Report 30 May 2013 16:36

Could someone preferably someone in the UK look on ancestry and see if the can see this birth

Births Dec 1899 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sumner Richard Thomas Islington 1b 271

I am not getting it along with at least 5 family marriages....which I know at least one was there before the new makeover

Thank you

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 May 2013 16:40

I don't have Ancestry but the birth is there on Findmypast:-

Name: SUMNER, Richard Thomas
Registration district: Islington
County: London
Year of registration: 1899
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Mother's maiden name: Not available before 1911 Q3
Volume no: 1B
Page no: 271

If you'd like the marriages put them on here - if they are older ones.

Kath. x

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 May 2013 16:40

He is there on births, death, electoral ,

anything particular I can help with Jax?

jax

jax Report 30 May 2013 16:42

Forget that it has suddenly appeared

Ok this marriage David Enders to June Bishop 1959

Its ok they are both dead

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 May 2013 16:45

Yes that's there too Jax.

I am just there looking at the newly added Surrey BMB's mistranscriptions are awful, 'Mary' is down as 'Gracy...clearly Mary...and Jeremiah is down as Susannah lol

jax

jax Report 30 May 2013 16:46

I have FMP and Ancestry but I am having trouble finding things on Ancestry since they updated

I dont need help Rose.....just wondering if it is just me who cannot see certain records

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 May 2013 16:47

Name: ENDERS, David G
Registration district: Essex South Western
County: Essex
Year of registration: 1959
Spouse's last name: Bishop
Volume no: 5A
Page no: 471

Name: BISHOP, June S
Registration district: Essex South Western
County: Essex
Year of registration: 1959
Spouse's last name: Enders
Volume no: 5A
Page no: 471

Kath. x

jax

jax Report 30 May 2013 16:50

Thanks for that both, the marriage is deff not there nor is my parents marriage which are quite unusual names

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 May 2013 16:50

No I don't think it's just you Jax, after the change to search I went to look for a record I knew to be there but it didn't come up until around the third page where previously it came in close to the top of the first.

Choccy

Choccy Report 30 May 2013 16:55

From Ancestry -

England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005

Name: June S Bishop
Spouse Surname: Enders
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1959
Registration District: Essex South Western
Inferred County: Essex
Volume Number: 5a
Page Number: 471
Find Spouse: David G Enders

jax

jax Report 30 May 2013 16:58

When I put my dads name in to search all records, all I get is his birth and a couple of electoral rolls in the 60s

He is the only person with that combination of names so should be easy to spot

These marriages were all in Essex S.W.

jax

jax Report 30 May 2013 17:00

Thanks Choccy aswell

Think ancestry will have to explain why I am not seeing them then

jax

jax Report 30 May 2013 17:05

Just tried again using the names I gave David Enders and June Bishop 1959.....and nothing

jax

jax Report 30 May 2013 17:09

Huh

Just clicked on All England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005 and it comes up.....how stupid, why not listed at the top when full details put in

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 30 May 2013 19:36

Jax - I noticed the same today when looking for records - you put in exactly what you want (including the right year) and get more hits than necessary and from years all over the place. A complete nightmare.....

Needles & Haystacks come to mind... :-)

jax

jax Report 30 May 2013 19:52

As I said PP my dad has an unusual name (there is only one person with that name)

If I put in his name including middle initial I get his birth, two electoral register entries then further down the page I get his phone book entries with just his initials

Now if someone came on here asking about him I would say he never married as that can only be seen if I click on All England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005.

Of course if I look on Freebmd (where I would normally look first) I would see it straight away

patchem

patchem Report 30 May 2013 19:53

The annoying thing is that one feels so stupid not to have seen it, but the most obvious records can be on the third page.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 May 2013 21:38

I've found I have to go to Advanced Search AND make sure that "match all terms exactly"

otherwise I get long lists that they have tried to match ....... but I don't, more often than not, get the name I'm looking for!

jax

jax Report 30 May 2013 21:49

I hav'nt had trouble looking for any other marriages...just my own family

5 marriages all in the same area, which I find odd

Someone on Living Rellies was looking for someone tonight put his name in and all 3 marriages came up along with his birth no trouble