Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are you getting it all together... ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 13 Jun 2013 12:45

Thanks for the replies, I enjoyed reading them all! :-D <3

GHeather

GHeather Report 13 Jun 2013 12:44

Thanks for the replies, I enjoyed reading them all! :-D <3

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 13 Jun 2013 11:14

I am not too bothered about how far back I get, but I do want to find out as much of the life of individuals as I can, often that means going sideways before going back :-D

Had a great find yesterday, albeit sad, in the newspaper archives, with the circumstances of my gt gt grandmother's death. It also threw up a few more questions, as things so often do!

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 13 Jun 2013 10:45

I do NOT want to go back as far as I can.

I want to flesh out my ancestors up to my g/g/grandparents, with as much info as I can find. And where possible add photos of either the person (through contacts) or a picture of the occupation etc., spent a whole Sunday afternoon a few months ago, adding pictures of churches where baptisms and marriages happened. Such Fun!!!!

I regularly go back to the odd 'maiden' aunt or 'bachelor' uncle in the hope that more will turn up. And sometimes it does, especially via Marriage and Death certicicates.

I always hope that the unusual names will show up more, but sadly I think I have exhausted most avenues now, even the Newspaper Archives, where I hit gold.

So as said before, my goal is not to get back to Adam and Eve but more knowledge of those closer to home.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jun 2013 08:14

I leave mine too for a while and then come back to it. sometimes I then go on a roll with finding marriages for siblings of one of my ancestors and will add them and their children to my FTM programme . Don't go too far on that side like adding partners parents and siblings ..

Will return too to the elusive ones in the hope of finding something I have missed like the death of my grt gran on mums dads side . She was born 1852 so not possible to be still around but she isn't telling me when she went !,! Have bought several duff certs that aren't her

Think it s better to let it all go from time to time and then come back to it with a new determination.

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 Jun 2013 06:14

Agreed, but there's no picture on the box, and half the edge pieces are missing.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 12 Jun 2013 23:43

I often leave mine for a while and then go back to it. I think sometimes I need a break from it and give my little brain a rest.

GHeather

GHeather Report 12 Jun 2013 23:27

We are ALL in this together, you know! lol :-D ;-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 12 Jun 2013 23:22

P.s. being like a jigsaw puzzle, you can leave it for a while, but always come back to it... :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 12 Jun 2013 23:21

All the children from each family, what they did, who they married, did they move to another country, did they live long... etc... I love it all! :-D ;-) <3

GHeather

GHeather Report 12 Jun 2013 23:18

I hope your family research is going well! I'm getting mine together, but still checking, looking at many interesting things. I want to get back as far as I can...' don't we all', I hear you say! lol So many surnames, so many people to find out about... dates, places, who, what, why, when... etc... Anyway, it's all brill! Enjoy! :-D It's very much like a massive jigsaw puzzle, that can take a very long time to finish, if ever! lol