Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any one else had problems adding people to tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 17 Jun 2013 14:25

I am finding that when I add a ***spouse*** to someone on my tree then add that spouses father then the spouse of the father it does not ask me if that is the mother of ***spouse*** I have to add the mother by choosing from existing entries, however once I have done that and try to add additional siblings it won't let me do this as it default to the "add an existing" dialogue box which cannot be used to add a new sibling.

I can only get round this by closing my tree down and reopening it and this is not very satisfactory and very time consuming.

I have just sent a message to Support regarding this but wondered if anyone else has had this problem.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Jun 2013 14:35

Yes, James, it's a common occurrence...........

VERY occasionally, one gets the option to add 'new' after having added an existing member, but such eventualities are few and far between.

However, it takes very little time to close down, and re-open one's tree..............and often when GR 'fix' things, they are worse than they were before

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 17 Jun 2013 14:42

Thanks Reggie as you say, often when GR fix things, they are worse than they were before - to often to my liking :-|

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 17 Jun 2013 22:54

Yes I've had this problem. The new tree is far from satisfactory. They don't sort out the problems properly then some clever clog will send a generic message to emptying the cache, change to Chrome or turn off the compatibility view.

Personally I've given up bothering. :-| :-|