Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records beyond 1500s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 21 Jun 2013 15:33

Are there any records that can be looked at to find family history further past 1500s. Going back to 1400s and 1300s?? Or even further

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jun 2013 15:36

All such records will be in the appropriate County Records Office(s)

But it's most unusual for anyone doing FH as a pastime to get back that far with any degree of certainty, or accuracy

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Jun 2013 16:21

Have you found the 'Visitations of .....?
Dating from about 1530 to 1688 - they sometimes have little family trees - but they are of the wealthy and gentry.

Edit : google 'Visitations of wherever' to see if they are on line.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 21 Jun 2013 17:18

The further you go back the less records there are.

The ones I know about for the period.....

Deeds (from 11c)
Feet of Fines (from late 12c)
Manor Court Rolls (from 13c)
Inquisition Post Mortem (from early 13c)
Lay Subsidies (from early 13c)
Quarter Sessions (from mid/late 14c)
Probates (from mid/late 14c)
Chancery Proceedings (from late 14c)

As Reggie has stated your first port of call would be the relevant Record Office to see what has survived, I would check out any online catalogue they may have.

Good luck
Chris

Graham

Graham Report 21 Jun 2013 18:39

There was a little village I used to live in where the remains of an iron age settlement were discovered. DNA tests were done on the human remains that were found and also on a number of the present day villagers. It was discovered that some of the villages were related to the people that had lived there two thousand years before.
I know some of those people (not the ones from the iron age). There are chuffed to bits about the findings. But I doubt if they could find records to fill the 2000 year gap.
I wonder what is the furthest back anybody has traced their family history. :-S

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 21 Jun 2013 19:51

Was that the Cheddar Gorge DNA Testing - they found that Lord Bath also had same DNA as locals....

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 21 Jun 2013 20:00

If you recall the WDYTYA for Sir Matthew Pinsent, his line was traced back to royalty.
Their records were kept, so are there to be seen. The programme took him back to King William I, and before then it was believed the line went back to Adam and Eve!
However my book of the Royal line of succession has the line going back to Cerdic, who died in AD 534. Believe it if you will.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 21 Jun 2013 20:20

I remember the Pinsent one.

He had a 'gateway' ancestor (cannot remember who that was) and that meant the line had already been traced back and a pedigree was held at the College of Arms. An amazing document.

http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/

Chris

Graham

Graham Report 21 Jun 2013 20:39

It was another Somerset village I lived in; not far from Cheddar. I think it was just one skeleton they found in Cheddar Gorge. They called it Cheddar Man. As to the Marquis of Bath being related to half of the county, I couldn't possibly comment. ;-)
They do say if you look back far enough, you'll find we are all related. Does that mean we are commiting incest? :-S

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Jun 2013 11:13

No a lot of that goes back to Edward 2nd (not sure really which Edward!)

But go back far enough and then we are definately all related.

Well they say you can't choose your family but you can choose your friends. Looks like little choice in the first!!!

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 22 Jun 2013 20:26

Thanks for the info. I heard someone traced back 100 AD and figures like Confucius has gone BC. But it would be impossible to go back to Adam & Eve because those are no such beings.

Graham

Graham Report 22 Jun 2013 20:55

I have lots of Marys and Josephs on my family tree; but no Jesus yet ;-) :-D

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 24 Jun 2013 11:16

So does anyone recommend alternative ways to searching different records in the 1500s, 1400s, 1300s, 1200s, 1100s, 1000s and even BELOW!???

Graham

Graham Report 24 Jun 2013 12:55

You could try http://www.domesdaybook.co.uk
Prior to that you're going to be struggling.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 25 Jun 2013 07:53

Try thePeerage.com to see if any of your family names are listed.
Not that it means you have a connection, but it's a start.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2013 11:26

Have you actually got back to the 1500's with proven genealogical info for your lines?

Inky1

Inky1 Report 25 Jun 2013 17:06

Ancestry has the Plantagenet Roll - which goes back to Edward III 1312-1377.

I traced a 'cousin-in-law' back to that line. (But not me, drat!) My search was helped by the fact that his grandfather had an unusual forename and came from an army family. I first located the family members on a Roll page that spanned 1819-1874.

I recall that there was also images of the Tudor Roll of "The Blood Royal of Britain" available.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 25 Jun 2013 17:25

In case anyone might be interested:

I have just gone onto Ancestry & found my way back to those records. You need to go onto(into?) the Ancestry Card Catalogue & search the databases using plantagenet as a keyword (or tudor). Then you can do a namesearch of that specific database.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 26 Jun 2013 08:30

I am not too sure what you mean by 'alternative ways to searching different records'.

I think that when you get into the time frame you are researching there are only going to be fragments of information available on the internet, for example catalogue indexes and their description of individual documents contained therein. I would expect to then have to visit the relevant Record Offices to view documents I was interested in to get the full story.

Google may find the odd list/transcription of documents where maybe an individual or group have worked on them but then you would need to know what you were looking for to search effectively.

One thing to bear in mind is that early documents may well be in Latin so a good dictionary would be useful together with cotton gloves, to protect not only the documents but you too, as they may well be filthy :-)

Good luck
Chris