Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

prison records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Jun 2013 20:13

I beleive that prison records were only kept for a certain amount of time after release, something like 10 years and then they could be and often were destroyed.

I heard on a radio show some years ago that only 1 prison in London (I think it was Wandsworth) has any old records that had not been destroyed. Found in a basement by a warden who then went on to produce and archive from these records.

You best bet now it the local papers. At the time you are looking at all local papers had a court reporter and any locals ending up in court (no matter how minor the crime) would be mentioned. I know right up to the 1970's the South London Press always had a column or two dedicated to this.

I was surprised when looking up an ancestor (criminal reports!) to find his crime also reported in newspapers as far away as Durham. And this was in the 1930's.

jax

jax Report 22 Jun 2013 18:30

Yes she may well have died but they have to have a cut off point with what records can be released to the public

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 22 Jun 2013 18:25

we know that Lillian died in 1997, but have no record of thomas since born.

jax

jax Report 22 Jun 2013 18:21

Which means they could still be alive

Find my past have records up until 1934 (although not sure if they have transcribed upto that year yet) which means anyone being convicted would possably be at least 100 now

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 22 Jun 2013 18:12

well thomas was born in 1927 and lillian in 1923

jax

jax Report 22 Jun 2013 18:09

So it is recent records you are looking for then?

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 22 Jun 2013 18:04

we know that my grandma and my uncle were in prison but were not sure when or what for. There names were Thomas Nicholson and Lillian Nicholson (Lillian name may have been different as we know that she lied on most of her marriage cefts) there were both from Manchester. We think that Lillian was in strange ways but due to a fire her records may have been lost.
Jax the man i was looking for born 1935 is my granddad
farther and i have moved on to another line of the tree now.

jax

jax Report 22 Jun 2013 16:41

If it for the man you have been looking for born 1935....then NO

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 22 Jun 2013 16:34

Ancestry have some criminal registers

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 Free index

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1590

Roy

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 22 Jun 2013 16:32

Ancestry and Findmypast have some criminal records.

If you post a name perhaps we can help you find whom you are looking for.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 22 Jun 2013 16:05

can anyone tell me if you can find records for people who have been in prison in the past? Thank you