Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Next page

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Jun 2013 11:56

Can anyone tell me how I can now view the next page when looking for family members living in the same household, please?

Under the old system, when viewing the original entry, there were facilities for:

'previous page'
and
'next page'

I am unable to find this facility within the new system. In the old system it was easy to 'turn the pages' backwards and forwards to check whether members of the family lived together or in the same street.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Jun 2013 12:05

Don't think you have ever been able to do this on GR.
Added - although you can click on the 'View household record' to see all the residents transcribed at that address

On Ancestry, there is a grey strip above the image eg for 1901
Kent > Minster in Sheppey > 3 > Page [5] of 19
Click on one of the arrow heads after the ‘of 19’ takes you to the previous or following pages.

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 23 Jun 2013 12:13

Also on FindmyPast there is are tabs to previous page and next page

mgnv

mgnv Report 24 Jun 2013 09:59

You'll have to do it the old way, it seems. The GR census ref is given on the transcription - it looks something like:
Archive Reference:RG09 Piece Number:2785 Folio:22 Page:18

Look this up at: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/referenceSearch.action and you should get the names on your image. Now alter the page # by one and try the adjacent page - (if there are no hits, alter the folio # by one also). You should get the names on the adjacent page - look one of them up.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Jun 2013 18:34

Yes, Detective, under the old system the original transcript had, at the top of the page, 'previous page' and a 'next page' buttons - so, as well as seeing other family members who had been put on another page, one could also see who lived in the same street.

This was a boon when one or more siblings and/or parents and grandparents lived near each other.

I suppose I'll have to view this way on 'find my past' - do I have to pay to view these originals there? If so, I'm only going to pay one subscription to a genealogy site as it seems silly to pay more.

mgnv

mgnv Report 25 Jun 2013 20:56

You get the names and ages for free on FMP - if you want more details you need a sub - try it out. Even if you click on something that's not free on GR/Ancestry/FMP all that happens is you get an invite to subscribe or buy credits - so I back out at that point. Similarly, on FS, sometimes the image isn't free, and I get invited to visit a partner site, like FMP, Ancestry or that subsidiary of Ancestry whose name I've forgotten.