Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LOST THE PLOT........NEED HELP TO MOVE ON

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 24 Jun 2013 15:34

I'm with Glasgow Lass on that. I've only used the S.P. centre at Edinburgh where the supervisors are excellent at helping people, especially beginners, to find their way. I assume there are also helpers at the library sites.

Once you get into the system it's a treasure trove of information right up to the present day.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 24 Jun 2013 00:57

Hi Sheila,
your best bet would be to visit the Scotlands People Centre in Edinburgh.
There are also centres at The Mitchell Library in Glasgow and Kilmarnock.

A full day at any of these costs £15 but you have unlimited access to all records, even the most recent ones.. Births/Deaths/ Marriages and Divorce records.

There is a charge for each printout but all the same embargos still apply.
EG you cannot print a birth record after 1913 but you can take detailed notes from them.

Anne

Sheila

Sheila Report 23 Jun 2013 16:46

Thankyou Pottie and Brummiejan. I have not tried facebook.......................my daughter might help me with that. Greenock could be a possibility and I will explore that route. Thankyou for taking the time to help.
Regards
Sheila

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Jun 2013 14:48

There is this obituary shown on Ancestry - would this ring any bells at all?

United Kingdom and Ireland Obituary Collection about Sarah Sadie Paterson
Name of Deceased: Sarah Sadie Paterson
Death Date: 9 Oct 2012
Obituary Date: 19 Oct 2012
Newspaper Location: Greenock, Scotland
Spouse's Name: Alex
Childrens' Names: David, Morag and the late Gordon
Siblings' Names: Rita

Jan

Potty

Potty Report 23 Jun 2013 14:04

Have you tried searching for them in trees on here? Or, as Gordon is probably still alive, on Facebook?

Sheila

Sheila Report 23 Jun 2013 12:20

I have been searching and searching for information on my mum`s family. I am really getting on well and have found lots of information on Scotlands People. The trouble is, I am at a complete dead end and don`t know what to do next. Sarah Scott married Walter Jack on 12th July 1923. I am trying to find out if they had children.Sarah was my gran`s sister. I remember talk of a John Jack and there was a family fall out. There was a cousin.Gordon Paterson. who was at the same school as me ( Croftfoot Primary )in the 60s. His mum was Aunt Sadie, they lived nearby but we never spoke for some reason. Gordon and his family moved away...I don`t know where. I think Sarah and Walter must have had a daughter and this could be Aunt Sadie. Gordon Paterson would now be in his late fifties and I would really like to find him. Everybody on here is so helpful and I hope that somebody with experience can help me. I have exhausted births and marriages on SP and really wanting to get over this brick wall.
Thanks
Sheila