Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a Grave

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarysRoots

MarysRoots Report 27 Jun 2013 18:31

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help I'm trying to find a grave for someone who died in 1906 I have the NBI but no help I also have some burial index but none seem to cover this date How do I find any info His wife died in 1916 but I have not found where she was buried ether
Kind regards

Mary

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jun 2013 18:44

Probably would be in a Municipal cemetery at those dates

I have had success with approaching the Parks & Cemeteries Dept of the local council. giving them all the details from the death cert and have been given burial details from their records.

They may make a charge though as Councils have cottoned on that family researchers are a source of money now.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 27 Jun 2013 22:26

This might help. You can search for free.

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

MarysRoots

MarysRoots Report 27 Jun 2013 22:53

Thank you both for info I have just tried The deceased on line but it does not cover Staffordshire at the moment but i will keep URL in case they add more to their site

Mary

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Jun 2013 00:39

Be aware of some cemeteries' policies.
I have the precise burial plot of my grandad's first wife, in the form of the original burial receipt from the funeral director.
She was buried in 1924, and grandad saved for many months to get green glass chipings to put on her grave.
I found the plot. No green glass chippings, and a man was buried there!!
Transpires, that in the 1960's, the council decided graves only 'lasted' 30 years, even if the plot had been bought, and after that time, the remains could be removed and the plot re-used!

My gx 4 grandad was buried in 1842 the graveyard of Romsey Abbey.
I couldn't find his grave. Upon asking an official of the Abbey, they insisted a 'commoner' would be buried in the cemetery up the road, despite the fact that g x 4 grandad was buried 20 years before this cemetery was built, and my gran and great aunt had seen his tombstone in the 1960's.
I realised they had cleared the graveyard of commoners' headstones, and they were now part of a path to the war memorial.
I could just make out the name on the headstone 15 years ago, but it's now illegible. To their shame, Romsey Abbey hadn't bothered recording details from the commoner's headstones.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jun 2013 09:55

My dads paternal gran died in 1909 just 3 weeks before he was born.

I got her death cert. and found she died in the German Hospital Dalston. London. I reasoned as she lived with her hubby at their sons house in Charlton SE London.
She would most likely have been taken back to Charlton
I rang Greenwich Council giving them her details and they rang me back the next day giving me her burial details in Charlton Municipal cemetery in a common grave with 7 others. Even gave me the mobile tel nos for the cemetery supervisor so we could arrange to visit . He looked again in their ledgers and found her and took us over to the grassed area where the grave was. They are so neatly planned out that he was able to pinpoint the exact area. I put flowers on it explaining we wouldn't be able to get back to remove them when they died.No problem ,the staff keep a look and they would remove,

Couldn't have had a better service from Greenwich Council.

MarysRoots

MarysRoots Report 2 Jul 2013 18:13

Thank you all for your info maggiewinchester I thought when you paid for a grave plot it was for 99 years??

I got in touch with the civic Wolverhampton and they found my great grandmother in a public grave in Bilston but they have no record of her husband I know he lived in High st Bilston when he died and there was a Chapel or Church near there it as long gone and is now a lidl store the graveyard a car park so if he was buried there he's now gone I cannot remember the Church name and have no idea what happened to the grave

Regards

Mary

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 2 Jul 2013 18:54

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

(not sure if above any help!)

Chris :)

MarysRoots

MarysRoots Report 2 Jul 2013 19:43

Thanks Chris Ho :) tried but no luck

Mary