Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph Bentley; b. June 1772, Davenham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Report 2 Jul 2013 15:48

I am trying to find information on Joseph's parents. The 1841 census records him living at Hall o' th' Hey, Kingsley where he was a very successful farmer until his death in Jan 1861.
He married Sarah Cooke b. Aug 1786 possible around 1805.

Also, his son William b. c1812 married Maria Jennings b. c1820 around 1841. The 1841 census shows William living with his parents at Hall o' th' Hey farm. By 1851 he is working as a farmer around Dutton, Daresbury, however, in 1861 he is living in Burslem, Stoke on Trent and working as a labourer in the Pottery Industry. I would love to find the reason for him moving to Stoke on Trent and from being a farmer to then working as a labourer on a pottery firm.

If any one can help I would be extremely grateful.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 2 Jul 2013 16:07

During the 1850s and 1860s it was the start of the industrial revolution.
One of my own Family lines moved from rural Oxfordshire (Farmers Sons) and ended up in the Midlands. The great new exciting world!....as it was seen to be back then.

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 3 Jul 2013 02:46

Hi Geoffrey..

From the census Joseph was b c1782 Davenham. There is a possible baptism for Joseph b1782 on the Cheshire Parish Database...

Joseph Bentley b11/06/1782 and baptised 23/06/1782 at Davenham...parents Thomas and Hannah Bentley residing in Leftwich.

Leftwich is just more or less across the road from Davenham.

http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

Linda

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 3 Jul 2013 13:49

Hello Geoffrey and welcome to the Community boards.

As Geoffrey is a new poster, I will send him a friendly message on how to return to his thread. :-)

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Report 16 Jul 2013 17:08

Thank you very much for your help. Although I joined GR in Jan 2013 I am still very much a novice and sometimes find it difficult to navigate all the various sites. therefore any help given is greatly appreciated.