Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Answered Thank you Old document preservation ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Blue1

Blue1 Report 4 Jul 2013 12:06

Hi,

can someone give me some advice please?

My mother in law sadly passed away.

Because I have been doing the family tree,my sister in law has given me some old documents and certs, one from 1887.

They look fragile. What is the best way to keep them please. I was thinking of scanning them for every day use,but don't want them to deteriorate further in my care if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Blue

Adeline

Adeline Report 4 Jul 2013 12:27

I have some very old documents and have stored them for a few years between sheets of acid free paper. It seems to have worked satisfactorily so far but I'm no expert. If you google "acid free" paper or boxes you should find some more information.

Blue1

Blue1 Report 4 Jul 2013 12:43

Hi Adeline,

Thank you for answering my question re the Acid free paper. I shall google as you suggest.

I probably should have done that in the first place, people on here are so informative and experienced though that I thought I would ask on here first.

Blue

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 4 Jul 2013 12:43

You can also google - about looking after documents

I think the National Archives website (not too sure if them or a museum) do have a page to explain how to look after document.

You can also get acid free plastic inserts, but these are useless for the really old certificates as they are far longer than the insert. I to have an marriage cert from the same time and it is in 4 pieces!!!!

As you have said best thing to do immediately is to scan for everday use and then put away original for safe keeping.

:-D :-D

Blue1

Blue1 Report 4 Jul 2013 12:49

DazedConfused,

Ahh, Didn't think about the National Archives! I will have a look on there as well.

It's quite a responsibility isn't it, but fab at the same time to be trusted by your in laws!

Blue

Graham

Graham Report 4 Jul 2013 16:48

You might want to weigh up the cost of preserving an old certificate against the cost of buying a replacement. I know there is, perhaps, some sentimental value attached to the old certificate; but a replacement would have all the relevant information on it.