Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Forces war records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 4 Jul 2013 13:33

Hi
Does anyone have a subscription to Forces War records site? I am looking for the information on there regarding Able Seaman John William Beddows (WW1) and wondered if there was more info than on Find My Past which only gives details of medals and not ships served on etc.
Cheers and thanks in anticipation - Clare

safc

safc Report 4 Jul 2013 13:43

is this him

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details/D7671466?descriptiontype=Full&ref=ADM+337/14/159

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Jul 2013 14:15

Before you subscribe to any site its best to check just what records they do actualy hold

This is a link to what the Forces War records site has to offer

http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/Collections/List

Roy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jul 2013 14:24

Also, bear in mind that over 70% of WW1 records were destroyed during an enemy raid in WW2

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jul 2013 14:26

The link posted by safc will allow you to download the records for a cost of £3.36

Extract.............

Reference:ADM 337/14/159 Description:
Name Beddows, John William
Service Number: Z/9577
RNVR Division: Bristol
Date of Birth: 22 November 1893
Date: 1915-1916

Clare

Clare Report 4 Jul 2013 15:00

Thanks for all your replies. £3.36 sounds better than £8 + that my Dad was going to pay. And yes safc that is the correct J W Beddows.
Cheers everyone Clare

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jul 2013 15:26

It's wise always to check official sources before gettinng involved with other sites, which are often a rip-off