Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grandfathers...Grrrr

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 5 Jul 2013 08:18

I have been trying for some time to identify my grandfathers.

My paternal grandfather should have been easy: I have his name, and all records from 1904, when he married my grandmother,r up until his death in 1930. Prior to that, a big round zero! I can't even find his father who was supposed to be a coach trimmer. I will not put any details on here as there was a separate thread a couple of years ago where I received much help from members.

My maternal grandfather was even worse. All I had was a surname and a potential address in Manchester where two children were born (my mother and her brother) my grandmother was married to someone else at the time but had moved out form the 'family' home.

Now, thanks to a member on a site that deals with Manchester and Salford genealogy, I may have found a partial answer. Said member went to the Manchester Central Library and did a look up on the electoral rolls for the years that my mother and her bother were born.

I now have a surname which is the same as my mother and brother both used for the rest of their lives, and the one used by my mother when she married. Their births were registered under the surname of my gran's husband, but no father was recorded on the birth certificates.

A big thanks to ALL researchers, whichever site they use :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Jul 2013 08:30

As you have all records from 1904, you must have a year and place of birth for your paternal grandfather

If he was under the age of 30 when he married, his birth would have been required to be registered

Presumably, his reputed father's details are from a marriage cert?

Allan

Allan Report 5 Jul 2013 09:07

Reggie, try this link

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/mortimer%20(clifford)/thread/1127809

Year of birth presumably 1860.

From the 1911 census, place of birth London

Father's details: Coach trimmer, deceased by 1904. yes from marriage cert

My grandfather was 44 when he married my grandmother, who was aged about 22, give or take a year or two. They married in Blackpool, Lancs.

If I don't respond immediately, you must excuse me as I now live in Western Australia. There is currently a seven hour time difference.

The only thing that I would add is that I have recently made contact with a cousin, the granddaughter of Clifford, who says that her mother always maintained that my grandfather was from a titled family, but was the black sheep of the family

Cheers

Allan