Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Passing Down Family History

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 7 Jul 2013 20:27

I am 17 now and I am wondering for when I have descendants of my own. Who knows the type of digital technology we will have in years to come but in case we still have disks, I was thinking of creating LOADS of copies and then passing them down. Not just discs but also some raw hard written/printed copies as well. How would I ensure I SUCCESSFULLY keep the information going. Can I also store it in some private archives and libraries and let me descendants know where it is located and so on..

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jul 2013 20:34

I'm sure the nearest branch of the Family History Society would be pleased to have a copy or the LDS in Salt Lake City. You could also keep a copy with a solicitor along with your Will (if and when you feel the need to make one).

I have had my tree printed out on a large scroll of paper and just hope my son or my grandson will have the sense NOT to throw it out - they know how much time I have spent on it.

I think you just need to keep updating the media you keep your research on for as long as possible and then hope our descendants do the same.

Glad to see someone of your age is interested in family history. Most of us only become interested when it is too late to ask family members who may have information we cannot find now.

Kath. x

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 7 Jul 2013 21:11

I save sound bytes of my family and have done for many years. Initially on my very old nokia but as technology upgraded the sound bytes have been transferred to the latest technology.

It's amazing what you save that you've forgotten about. I recently upgraded the computer system and instead of just transferring the whole drive I went through it to see what I'd collected. It was great looking through all the photographs, newspaper clippings, notes etc.... Very time consuming, very enjoyable.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 7 Jul 2013 21:38

This is a very interesting point isn't it. I have started looking at my own documents in a different way, asking myself if I would have liked to have had the equivalent info on my ancestors. For example, I have started keeping one payslip for each year (I shred the rest). In 100 years time maybe my descendants will be intrigued to see how much - or little - I earned! Just wish I had done it from the start.
Jan x

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 7 Jul 2013 22:40

I must admit I find it difficult throwing stuff out.

I keep utility bills so descendants will know how much things cost. (I scan everything and keep a paper copy of one bill per year. It all stems from seeing a bill of sale in a museum.

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 9 Jul 2013 19:30

Yes. I agree. I have a whole folder filled with bank letters and what not. I never through stuff like that out!
I got into research after watching ROOTS for the first time 4 years ago. Was interested ever since as a "side-hobby".. I have so many things I like to do...
I am hoping to make TONNES of copies and giving it to my descendants, cousins and libraries too...

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 10 Jul 2013 15:16

You could consider giving details of your research into a particular surname to GOONS.....Assuming that someone is registered for that surname.

http://www.one-name.org/

Many years ago a member of GOONS gave me invaluable help with one of my lines. In return I was more than happy to give information together with copies of certificates and documents that she didn't have in her collection.

That reminds me.....I have some other bits and pieces she may be interested in :-)

Chris

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 11 Jul 2013 10:28

I am super impressed that a 17yr old has interest family history.

I wish that I had recorded/filmed my relatives when they recounted stories from their lives and families.