Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deed Poll

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Rae

Paul Rae Report 12 Jul 2013 14:50

Can you trace a family member who's name may be changed by Deed Poll, ? I Have a birth for a Dennis W Wittridge b 1929 Walthamstow, London, Essex. I did hear at some time be moved to Kent + No (m) No d. Under Wittridge. I'm Lost. :-S

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 12 Jul 2013 14:54

Welcome to the boards.
Where did you find the birth?? I can't see a registration for it.
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 12 Jul 2013 15:03

Got it! Spelling a bit different and 2 middle names:

Births Sep 1929 (>99%)
Witteridge Dennis W A Watkins W. Ham 4a 549

Have you a particular reason to believe he changed his name?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 Jul 2013 15:42

Hello Paul, it's also worth bearing in mind that people can legally call themselves anything they want without having to go through a formal process, as long as it's not for fraudulent purposes.

You may find this link from the National Archives useful:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/change-of-name.htm

patchem

patchem Report 13 Jul 2013 08:58

Do you know who his parents were, and whether she remarried and he took the new father's name?
(Just wondered - cannot see Witteridge/Watkins marriage)

Added:
Unless it is this one?
Marriages Mar 1921
Watkins Emily M Wittridge W.Ham 4a 403
Wittridge William J Watkins W.ham 4a 403

As you ave the Wittridge/Watkins children in your tree, have you been in contact with others with the same family?

Paul Rae

Paul Rae Report 13 Jul 2013 17:45

Thank you all for your help with this one, (i.e.) Dennis Wittridge. I may get it sorted one day ? I did talk to a cousin that's the only news I could get. And got me thinking perhaps it was by Deed Poll. P S Wittridge Watkins (m) 27/3/1921 Walthamstow.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 13 Jul 2013 17:50

Do you know his exact birth date? Hopefully he hasn't died, but if he happened to have done so, deaths 1970-2006 can be searched using this.. Might be worth checking just in case.
Do you know what his middle names were?
Jan

jax

jax Report 13 Jul 2013 17:53

Do you know that he has died? could he have left the country?

Paul Rae

Paul Rae Report 13 Jul 2013 22:16

Well He may of emigrated ?
May knot have changed by Deed Poll, ?
One day I may fine a relative with the answer ?
I might send off for the birth for the day month of that b. But then to look for a death, under what sir name ? ?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 13 Jul 2013 22:27

But why do you think he changed his name?
Jan

Paul Rae

Paul Rae Report 13 Jul 2013 23:35

The name change bit, that's the story my cousin told my. That's the story his Mum told him, my Mum had never talked about him that I know of. I only found him after starting my tree.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 14 Jul 2013 03:48

His brother Derek looks to still be alive. Can you contact him?

Rose

Paul Rae

Paul Rae Report 14 Jul 2013 10:00

Thank you for that part Rose, i will try to look up Derek, poss children. That may get me to the bottom of this one. ;-)