Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fresh eyes please, death record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 12 Jul 2013 17:45

Hi, I am going squiffy here.

Can anyone work out what the rest of the entry says after Richard Wall ?

The record is on Ancestry.

Burial for Margarett Wall wife of Richard Wall.,

Burial 10th October 1625.

St. Botolph, Aldgate, City of London.

Many thanks, M

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jul 2013 18:07

I'd have said the next word was 'Damasker' silk maker? Just a guess.

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 12 Jul 2013 18:15

Ah yes RR thank you, that looks right now, does the next bit say " Most astute " ? or am I making that up? M

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jul 2013 18:28

Hi Maryanna if you look at above entries some also have the word beginning with M...I think it is 'morte' ( ie 'death' and the word after that which I can't make out is connected to that?, maybe referring to form of burial or service?

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 12 Jul 2013 18:43

HI RR, I think you are right about the " Morte " just hope it doesn't mean the others that don't have that after their name weren't buried alive !!

Some of them seem to have ESI or ESL after their names. M

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jul 2013 18:59

Maryanna I have googled 'Latin terms on on burial records' which brings up lots of helpful pages, but not yet been able to work the last word out...worth a look through though.

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 12 Jul 2013 19:15

Thanks RR, will give it a go. M

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 12 Jul 2013 20:29

I don't have a clue WHAT that says but do you think it could be some sort of address/location?
Just wondering. as so many other entries seem to be followed by one.

I've been trying to look at the later entries 1700s etc for St B's to see if I can spot something similar.

So far I've just got eyestrain. ;-)

Maureen

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 12 Jul 2013 20:52

Hi Maureen, join the club.

I have looked at about eight different sites giving Latin translations and nothing seems to come close.

I have a feeling that the other ones say m.est. ( morte est, Is dead, which is a bit of luck ).

I think the last three letters are ute, ule, uts or uls., which really doesn't help.

M

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Jul 2013 21:37

Morleys Rents?...looking at last entry, opposite page, and entries above her.

(below from google)
July 1625 | St. Botolph Aldgate Parish Clerks' Memorandum Books
www.rescript.org/article.aspx?p=2&a=6436 - Cached
Banes. fol. 264v. Julie Anno 1625, .... Hellen Milburne servant to John Tailor
minories street. Joane yong wife to ... Edward dixon of Morleys rents. John
Samms ...

Chris :)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Jul 2013 22:10

I've been looking too and I had got the second word as "rentes" but couldn't make sense of it because it didn't occur to me that it was an address. Doh!! Morley's Rents makes sense.

EDIT: Have found a reference to Morley's Rents in 1638 which says it consisted of 60-70 tenements

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 12 Jul 2013 22:40

Chris and Vera, I think you've got it !!!!

Thanks for that, I would never have worked that one out. M

:-)

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 13 Jul 2013 02:14

:-D :-D
Yes,our Chris!!! Halo polish for you.;-)

I thought it must be an address of some sort...

Now then...what is that abbreviation that looks like Egr/s or something.....

Moxx

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 13 Jul 2013 10:38

I looked up Morleys Rents last night, there is mention of a Richard Hall and Thomas Wall, so could be him ( mis spelled) and his son, Thomas.

Can usually rely on Chris to come up with something the rest of us mere mortals are struggling with.

Many thanks to you all. M

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Jul 2013 16:33

Re:
"Now then...what is that abbreviation that looks like Egr/s or something..... "

Having made myself cross-eyed studying page after page of the records, I have come to the conclusion that it must be an abbreviation for East Smithfield, which never appears written in full.

From
http://www.londonlives.org/static/StBotolphAldgate.jsp

"St Botolph Aldgate is located on the eastern edge of the City of London, straddling the border with Middlesex; part of the parish was in the City (in Portsoken Ward), and part in Middlesex (East Smithfield). A long, thin parish, it stretched from Gravel Lane (off Houndsditch) in the northeast all the way to the Thames in the south. The northern part of the parish, located in the City, was bordered by Petticoat Lane, Somerset Street and Mansell Street on the northeast side, and Houndsditch and Vine Street on the west, continuing south down the Minories and bypassing the Liberty of Trinity Minories towards Tower Hill and Rosemary Lane. The southern part, only attached to the rest of the parish across a short stretch of Rosemary Lane, was in Middlesex, and located east of the Tower of London and the parish of St Katherine by the Tower. With King Street and Ditch Side on its western border, its eastern boundary went along Darby Street, Church Yard Alley, Black Dogg Alley, and Nightingale Lane down to the Hermitage Dock. On the west, it was bordered by East Smithfield (the street), Butcher Row, and Red Cross Street. "

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 13 Jul 2013 17:14

That could well be it argyllgran...I was looking at pages before, some seem easier to decipher, lol, also wondered about St. Ethelburga.

Anyway, whatever it is, lovely to look at, great stuff!.

Chris :)

(wonders if it's blazing hot in NY today, phew, lol)

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 13 Jul 2013 17:16

argyllgran <3

I know exactly what you're saying!!

Could have sworn I saw an E Smfield in there somewhere but then again...once I look at records for too long I start seeing "Martian" handwriting. :-D

Of course learned something new with helping.....Portsoken Ward..... :-S

Best.
Maureen
:-D

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 13 Jul 2013 17:18

LOL!!!!!!!!

Chris!!!!!

Maureen :-D

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 14 Jul 2013 17:19

Thank you.
More food for thought folks. St. Ethellburga' s would make sense, another church where some of the same family and in laws were Married and Baptised.

I have found some amazing records, some beautifully illustrated, for some of those City of London churches.

How I would love to go back and take a quick look at how things were in those days. Am pretty sure I wouldn't want to stay long though !! M