Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Green Envelope

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tichey

Tichey Report 13 Jul 2013 05:16

Hi Folks Me Again.!!!!!

Can you please tell me ?
The green envelope that you have to the left of a person Name, when you have sent them a request . To view their tree......
!. Does this indicate that they have picked up your message when it is no longer visible?
2. If it has gone but there is no message does this mean that they do not want to let you see their tree, but cant be bothered to be polite and send you a reply.?
3. Does it mean that they have not been on their sight for some time, and just have not seen the request.?
4. Is there any possibility that this message has not reached their in box.?
5. Is this where the answer will be? In the In Box or am I looking in the wrong place.?
6. Should I resend the request or could this be a bit rude.?

There you go. this should keep you all busy for a while.
I just love your diligence,and willingness to help.
Thank you.
Tichey
<3 <3

Pam

Pam Report 13 Jul 2013 07:39

I think the green envelope means the message has not been opened.

A lot of people do not like the automated "Can I View Your Tree" message. It is much nicer to contact the person and give them some information (name, birth year and place) on the person you are researching and then ask them if it is the same person in their tree and will they share information.

Pam

Pam Report 13 Jul 2013 07:53

I received an automated request to see my tree on 23rd June. I have replied with information but it remains in my "Sent" messages with the green envelope.

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 13 Jul 2013 07:55

As Pam says the green envelope means a message is unopened and you are correct in thinking that when the envelope disappears it has been read.

A recipient may not reply immediately as they may be collating some information for you however if your message was a generic "Can I view your tree" the recipient may feel that you are not really interested in the research element and are a name collector. It is far better to put as much detail as you can about the possible connection when making contact. Some will open their tree after a few emails or just forward all the information they have on the branch of interest.

Persephone

Persephone Report 13 Jul 2013 09:29

You have sent me two messages Tichey and as you will see your end that both green envelopes have gone... cause I read and answered one and read your response...

Take care

Persie

Tichey

Tichey Report 13 Jul 2013 15:10

When I send a request.(Automated). I usually type" after the words your tree". Looking for John doe ect.. ......... I assumed that this would be sent with the request. Please can anyone confirm this. Also
Pam you say "Much nicer to contact the person" How can I contact the person when I do not have any information other than there name?.
Thanks for the help.
Tichey..

jax

jax Report 13 Jul 2013 15:30

You can say how you are connected to the person and what you are looking for.

You contact the person the same way...but delete the stupid can I view your tree message and type one of your own

I do not have a tree on here it is private elsewhere...but I would not open it to anyone....would help them if they told me what they were looking for though

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Jul 2013 16:12

What Pam means when she says it is better to contact the person is to do what Jax has said ie remove the standard message supplied by Genes, including the title, and put in your own personal message.

The title is what people see first, before they open the message and some don't go any further. I usually open them and if they only have the automated message, reply asking Why? (Not quite as abrupt as that sounds, I assume they are newbies and add a bit of explanation. Some are grateful and some I never hear from again!!)

Genes have been asked many times to remove the automated message, without success.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Jul 2013 05:37

To answer another of your questions .....................

4. Is there any possibility that this message has not reached their in box.?

If they have changed their email address, but have not notified GR, then the message will not reach them ......................... GR will have sent it to non-operational old email address that they have on file.

Also remember ...........

............. they might have completely lost interest in family history

............. they might be dead

............. they might be completely incapacitated by illness.

GR never deletes any members ................ they remain as free members for ever, unless they delete themselves, or tell a family member or friend their password(s) so another person can delete them.

Tichey

Tichey Report 15 Jul 2013 14:38

Thanks Folks.
Very Informative.
Blessings
Tichey.
;-)