Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

soujourner

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 14 Jul 2013 09:59

After going nearly cross-eyed looking at a microfilm in the SOG library I found the parish record entry of my 3 x great grand parents. He is described as a widower, so I have yet another task to add to my to do list. :-S
Following their names is the description,' spinster & sojourner of this parish'.

Reading other entries on the same page, I think the term 'sojourner' applies to him rather than her.
Am I right in thinking that it means that he was not an actual resident of that parish

Susan

Susan Report 14 Jul 2013 10:09

A sojourner is a person who resides temporarily in a place :-D

From Google :-D

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 14 Jul 2013 10:13

Hmm, thanks Susan, I just wanted to confirm it. That creates an entirely new challenge to try to find where he was actually from.
:-S

Flip

Flip Report 14 Jul 2013 10:14

If you want to post up his details we can see if we can turn anything up.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 Jul 2013 10:49

Seeing the term sojourner has got me thinking

It this where the term Journeyman derives?

It certainly makes etymological sense to me.....

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Jul 2013 11:36

Yes, a journeyman was originally someone paid by the day.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 14 Jul 2013 12:33

I'd always (mistakenly) thought a journeyman was someone who travelled plying their trade. It wasn't until someone explained on here a few years back that it related to being paid daily, from the French for day - jour.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 14 Jul 2013 14:36

Those terms still drive me crazy....

What I THINK I know is that a journeyman was not an apprentice to a master craftsman. He was (not being bound to a contract) able to work and live independently.

A "sojourner" gives me the impression that they (he or she) were not of that area/parish.

i.e. Not our problem..we can do a removal order on you and make your home parish keep you.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Jul 2013 15:58

Googled.............

A journeyman is someone who has completed an apprenticeship and is fully educated in a trade or craft, but not yet a master. To become a master, a journeyman has to submit a master work piece to a guild for evaluation and be admitted to the guild as a master.

The word journeyman comes from the French word journée, which means a period of one day. The title refers to the journeyman's right to charge a fee for each day's work. Journeymen would normally be employed by a master craftsman, but would live apart and might have a family of their own. A journeyman could not employ others. In contrast, an apprentice would be bound to a master, usually for a fixed term of seven years, and lived with the master as a member of the household, receiving most or all compensation in the form of food and lodging.

Potty

Potty Report 14 Jul 2013 16:30

Reggie, exactly what I learnt in History at school.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 14 Jul 2013 18:20

So...a very talented and trained craftsman.

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 14 Jul 2013 19:23

This is a link to a picture of the entry , hopefully I have done it correctly

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55863919/marriage%20cert%2001%20-%20Copy.jpg

As to the origin of the word

(v.) Middle English sojurnen < Old French sojorner to rest, stay < Vulgar Latin *subdiurnare, equivalent to Latin sub- sub- + diurn ( us ) of a day + -are infinitive suffix; (noun) Middle English sojurne < Old French sojorn, derivative of the v.; see journey

And for journeyman
1425–75; late Middle English journeman, equivalent to journee a day's work (see journey) + man man1

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 14 Jul 2013 20:25

(also on below)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

County Lincolnshire
Place Crowland
Church St Guthlac
RegisterNumber 348
MarriageDate 11 Oct 1796
GroomForename John
GroomSurname HALL
GroomAge
GroomParish Crowland
GroomCondition Widower
GroomOccupation
GroomAbode Crowland
BrideForename Martha
BrideSurname WHYMENT
BrideAge
BrideParish Crowland
BrideCondition Spinster
BrideOccupation
BrideAbode Crowland
GroomFatherForename
GroomFatherSurname
GroomFatherOccupation
BrideFatherForename
BrideFatherSurname
BrideFatherOccupation
WitnessOneForename Ann
WitnessOneSurname ASHBY
WitnessTwoForename Sheb
WitnessTwoSurname BECKWITH
Notes By Banns. Martha-sojourner In This Parish.

Chris :)

edits (entry on FMP)

Day:11
Month:Oct
Year:1796
Groom Forename(s):John
Groom Surname:HALL
Bride Forename(s):Martha
Bride Surname:WHYMENT
Parish:Crowland
Deanery:West Elloe
County:Lincolnshire
Notes:JH wid/MW sojourner
Record source:Lincolnshire Marriage Index
Data provider:Lincolnshire Family History Society

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Jul 2013 23:29

Doesn't the marriage entry read that John was of that parish.?

I read it as if Martha was not a permanent resident there.................................

Gwyn

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 15 Jul 2013 08:13

A sojourner is a person who resides temporarily in a place.

Ironic that the Mars probe rover was named Sojourner rover.
It has only just clicked the rational behind the name.

Like the way you have managed to include the doc in your post. Makes it all the more interesting :-)

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 15 Jul 2013 08:13

Thanks for all the replies, I am as ever bowled over by the willingness of the 'genies' to help.
In the http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl entry it does look as thought Martha is the 'sojourner' but on the actual entry in the register after Martha's name ( the female names are always second) it says spinster, & sojourner. I thought this referred to her as spinster and him as sojourner.

I'm not at home right now but when I get back this evening I will double check the other entries on the page where there are other 'sojourners'.

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 15 Jul 2013 21:14

These two pictures also have sojourners in them
One stating that they were both sojourners, the other
clearly indicates which of them is the sojourner.

So as there is no mention of 'bachelor' on John and Maratha's entry I think that it means that he is the sojourner

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55863919/for%20drop%20box.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55863919/drop%20box%202.JPG

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 16 Jul 2013 08:02

Hmm, on second thought and after much mulling on it I think that the term 'sojourner' DOES apply to Martha. That might account for the fact that she was the only Whyment I could find on that film.
Just one of genealogys challenges :-)

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 16 Jul 2013 08:50

http://www.curiousfox.com/history/lincolnshire_13.html

(above has below request, not sure if yours)

(Searching for details of John Hall and Martha Whyment)

Chris :)

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 16 Jul 2013 20:13

Thanks Chris, yes that entry in CuriosFox is indeed mine
Quite an interesting site to use. .
:-D