Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frank Joseph Mandel born C 1904

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frederic (Eric)

Frederic (Eric) Report 21 Jul 2013 03:47

Hello everyone.
I have been looking for information related to Frank Joseph Mandel and not sure ifthis is the right area of Genes to post (or if it should be on Find Ancestors).

Records I have found thus far include (but not limited to)- 1990 death registration in 1990 (Victoria, BC, Canada). I ordered the certificate from Canada which indicated he was born in Germany C1904.

I've searched madly (as best I can) to try and find any record of immigration to USA or Canada with no luck.

He married Catherine McClelland Henderson (she was born 1909 in Scotland and died 1978 in BC, Canada). I now have extensive information about Catherine (she was a "missing" sister of my gran of whom I only found in 2012 and have since researched in detail)

As to when they married? Catherine was still noted as single on the Canadian Voters registration in 1940, and in 1945 showed her married name Mandel.

Can anyone offer any suggestion on where I can source any information on marriages during these dates (1940 to 1945)?

Can anyone perhaps assist me in trying to also locate any immigration record for Frank? Ideally I am trying to find out who his parents were and any other family members (his genealogoy death certificate may help me there - I have just ordered this through Canadian VSA in BC).

Many thanks as always

Eric
Metung, Victoria
Australia

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Jul 2013 08:42

Hello Eric, on your thread on Douglas Simmons on Find Ancestors board I mentioned that passenger lists for Canadian arrivals only go up to 1935. As you're no doubt only too well aware, the Canadian BMDs are much more restricted so it's extremely frustrating trying to get info.

May I suggest that you add "Canada" to your title - one of the Canadian members might be able to give you more constructive advice if they spot it.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Jul 2013 08:50

I know you probably already have this if you have other voter lists but am posting for our reference in case occupation helps us when searching:

Canada, Voters Lists, 1935-1980
Name: Frank Joseph Mandel
Electoral District: Esquimalt-Saanich
Year: 1957

Living 3875 Seaton.

EDIT: There's a Frank J Mandel in BC who has previously been a logger and a labourer (had hoped consistency of occupation might have helped!)

Maddie

Maddie Report 21 Jul 2013 11:35

a tree on ancestry has no parents recorded but there is this
Birth
not known
Residence
1945 Age: 41
Comox; Alberni, British Columbia, Canada
1 source citation

Residence
1949 Age: 45
Comox; Alberni, British Columbia, Canada
1 source citation

Residence
1957 Age: 53
Esquimalt; Saanich, British Columbia, Canada
1 source citation

Residence
1962 Age: 58
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
1 source citation

Death
1990 2 Aug Age: 86
Victoria, BC, Canada

Death Record
02 August 1990 , Victoria, BC, Canada

Vital Event Death Registration

Name: Frank Joseph Mandel

Event Date: 1990 8 2 (Yr/Mo/Day)

Event Place: Victoria

Reg. Number: 1990-09-014036

B.C. Archives Microfilm Number: B17145 GSU Microfilm Number: 1709295

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 21 Jul 2013 11:46

Odd that there isn't a marriage listed but here's the death:
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy/DisplayGenealogyImage?k=f8156c06-8f69-43ce-8c3b-90313035

Maureen

Frederic (Eric)

Frederic (Eric) Report 21 Jul 2013 21:54

Hi Maddie - that tree on Ancestry would be mine. There is nobody else with this same Frank Mandel it seems. Thanks so much for digging into this.

Hi Maureen - I found the Voters listings yesterday and added them to my other tree - I can only assume that the Frank J Mandel with the various occupations is the same fellow. As mentioned in my opening message, I think I have narrowed their marriage down to between 1940-45. I wonder if it was outside of Canada?

I have ordered the full geneology death record for Frank, from VS Office in Canada. The one I obtained for my grand Aunt, Catherine McClelland Henderson/Mandel was quite detailed and from that I was also able to determine her final resting place in Oak Bay, BC (the funeral home was most helpful) - so I am hoping Frank's will be just as informative and helps to locate his family.

As with many researchers, I am determined to find the information and in saying that it helps close a chapter in my grans family (albeit too late for her to get to know her missing sister)

You've both been very generous with your time - thanks to you both for helping out.

Regards
Eric

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 22 Jul 2013 01:09

Hi Eric,

Darn-it doesn't look as though my previous link works but if you go to:
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy/AdvancedSearch

you can see the death cert. Probably what you'll get in the mail?

Maureen

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 22 Jul 2013 08:45

Eric, the death certificate for Frank that's on the links Maureen provided must be a different version to the one you have received.

You said you were trying to find out who his parents were. According to the certificate he was born 2 June 1904 in Klein-Breitenbach, Germany.

His parents are named as George Mandel born Germany and his mother Ida Galm, born Mudau, Germany.

EDIT: (Oops, just noticed this is probably the one you have on order)

Frederic (Eric)

Frederic (Eric) Report 22 Jul 2013 19:56

Hello Maureen - that link you sent was perfect. Found the certificate and as MarieCeleste has noted, the details I've been looking for were there.
I've now contacted the funeral home to see if there is a memorial for Frank where we can pay our last respects!

The gaps in the family are slowly being filled and we now have some answers to a few long time outstanding questions.

MANY THANKS!

Eric

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 22 Jul 2013 21:04

Hi Eric,

You're very welcome!

I wish you luck with your research,
Maureen